Options

Syntax for Automated Redgate Restore Jobs

snapperfishsnapperfish Posts: 6
edited September 18, 2008 5:53AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
The SQL Backup version 5.1 does not have scheduled restores.

Where can I find the correct syntax for redgate restore of a backup file as I need to setup SQL Agent job in SQL enterprise Agent 2005
Thanks Snapperfish

Comments

• Options
    The syntax for the restore command can be found here (refers to 5.2, but is the same for 5.1):
    http://help.red-gate.com/help/SQLBackup ... STORE.html

Be aware that if you have encrypted the backup, the restore job will require the password to be stored in plain text.

Hope that helps,
    Jason
  • Options
    Hi snapperfish,

The easiest way to get the syntax is to go through the Restore Wizard and on the last step click the Script tab, the restore script used will then be displayed and you can copy/modify it.

The basic syntax to restore a full backup over an existing database replacing it is :
    master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [Northwind]  FROM DISK = ''C:\Programs\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\Northwind.sqb'' WITH RECOVERY, REPLACE"'

When using in an agent job you should add the following error handling :
    DECLARE @errorcode INT
    DECLARE @sqlerrorcode INT
    EXECUTE master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [Northwind]  FROM DISK = ''C:\Programs\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\Northwind.sqb'' WITH RECOVERY, REPLACE"', @errorcode OUT, @sqlerrorcode OUT;
    IF (@errorcode >= 500) OR (@sqlerrorcode <> 0)
    BEGIN
    RAISERROR ('SQL Backup failed with exit code: %d  SQL error code: %d', 16, 1, @errorcode, @sqlerrorcode)
    END

I hope this helps.
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry