Options

Problem after update to Visual Studio 17.8

Hi.

We've just updated Visual Studio to the latest version, 17.8. Since then, the plugin crashes on build/cleanup or even opening the SCA tool window.

The error ->
MSBUILD: Error:  : Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionStringBuilder.get_Encrypt()'.: Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionStringBuilder.get_Encrypt()'.

VS Version : 17.8
SCA extension version : 4.6.23312.2442

Thanks

Answers

• Options
    daviepdaviep Posts: 7 New member
    Same issue here

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2022 Version 17.8.0
    Redgate SQL Change Automation   4.6.23319.2501
  • Options
    WoehrMiWoehrMi Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Same issue for me!

Just installed the update to Visual Studio 2022 v17.8.0 (required for .NET 8 and C# 12) and SQL Change Automation Extension is not working any more, which means I'm unable to build my project. Please provide an updated version as soon as possible!

Kind regards
  • Options
    wimreywimrey Posts: 10 Bronze 1
    I was really hoping this would have been fixed with the official release of 17.8. This has been an issue in the preview version and multiple bug reports were sent. it's sad to see this product getting so little love from red-gate
  • Options
    Ditto; dead in the water.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Sorry you're seeing this issue with SCA and Visual Studio, a colleague has already escalated this issue through for the attention of our development team and we hope to have a further update for you soon.

Appreciate it may not be possible, but SSMS has been suggested as a workaround while we await news from our development team on VS.
    Kind regards

Tom Claringbold | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    GeorgeousGeorgeous Posts: 3 New member
    edited November 23, 2023 10:16AM
    Tom_C said:
    Hi all,

Sorry you're seeing this issue with SCA and Visual Studio, a colleague has already escalated this issue through for the attention of our development team and we hope to have a further update for you soon.

Appreciate it may not be possible, but SSMS has been suggested as a workaround while we await news from our development team on VS.
    Hi all,
    any update on this? I have the same issue 

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2022 Version 17.8.1
    Redgate SQL Change Automation   4.6.23319.2501

I tried an update to 
    Redgate SQL Change Automation   4.6.23326.2589
    but it's still the same

<div>2023-11-23 10:38:25.635 +01:00|Information|RedGate.Versioning.Client.Licensing.RedgateLicensing.RedgateLicensor|1| Redgate Client capability version: 2</div><div>2023-11-23 10:38:39.127 +01:00|Error|RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.ProjectSelection.SelectProjectService|1| Could not open a project</div><div>System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionStringBuilder.get_Encrypt()'.</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Shared.DatabaseUtils.SqlServer.Connection.ConnectionStringParser.ParseConnectionString(String connectionString)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Projects.ProjectSettings.SqlProj.UserSettings.ProjectUserSettingsLoader.GetRawConnectionString(IMsBuildUserSettingsStrategy strategy, ConnectionStringPropertyNames connectionStringPropertyNames)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Projects.ProjectSettings.SqlProj.UserSettings.ProjectUserSettingsLoader.GetConnectionString(IMsBuildUserSettingsStrategy strategy, ConnectionStringPropertyNames connectionStringPropertyNames, IProgressLogger progress)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Projects.ProjectSettings.SqlProj.UserSettings.ProjectUserSettingsLoader.LoadSettings(String filePath, IProgressLogger progress)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engines.Migrations.Projects.SqlProj.DatabaseConnections.ProjectDatabasesRetriever.LoadSettings(String filePath, IProgressLogger progress)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.ProjectSelection.SelectProjectService.LoadProject(Project project)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.ProjectSelection.SelectProjectService.LoadDefaultProject()</div><div>2023-11-23 10:38:39.156 +01:00|Information|RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.Views.ContentSwitcher|1| Hit exception, displaying message to user.</div><div>System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionStringBuilder.get_Encrypt()'.</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Shared.DatabaseUtils.SqlServer.Connection.ConnectionStringParser.ParseConnectionString(String connectionString)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Projects.ProjectSettings.SqlProj.UserSettings.ProjectUserSettingsLoader.GetRawConnectionString(IMsBuildUserSettingsStrategy strategy, ConnectionStringPropertyNames connectionStringPropertyNames)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Projects.ProjectSettings.SqlProj.UserSettings.ProjectUserSettingsLoader.GetConnectionString(IMsBuildUserSettingsStrategy strategy, ConnectionStringPropertyNames connectionStringPropertyNames, IProgressLogger progress)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Projects.ProjectSettings.SqlProj.UserSettings.ProjectUserSettingsLoader.LoadSettings(String filePath, IProgressLogger progress)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Engines.Migrations.Projects.SqlProj.DatabaseConnections.ProjectDatabasesRetriever.LoadSettings(String filePath, IProgressLogger progress)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.ProjectSelection.SelectProjectService.LoadProject(Project project)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.ProjectSelection.SelectProjectService.LoadDefaultProject()</div><br>

• Options
    WernerNicoWernerNico Posts: 2 New member
    edited November 23, 2023 10:50AM
    Have the same issue.
    In release note for VS 17.8 

SQL

• Upgraded Microsoft.Data.SQLClient (MDS) from version 3.0 to version 5.0 in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) Read more
    • Two new fields are added to Connect dialogue box
    • The Encrypt property now defaults to true (enabled) when connecting. If a server does not have a trusted certificate configured, the use of Trust Server Certificate set to true may be appropriate. For more details, please refer to the documentation
    Ref https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2022/release-notes#sql
  • Options
    clinkeclinke Posts: 18 Bronze 1
    edited November 23, 2023 12:59PM
    The problem lies in RedGate.Versioning.Engine.Shared.DatabaseUtils.SqlServer.dll (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Professional\Common7\IDE\Extensions\001rr241.rgs).

There's a workaround disabling encryption:
    1. In ConnectionStringBuilder, Method  Create, remove property Encrypt
    2. In ConnectionStringFactory, Method ParseConnectionString, pass false to parameter to SetEncryptConnection
    You can use e.g. dnSpy to change this. 

With Visual Studio 17.8, there were some changes regarding Connection encryption. It is enabled by default now, and some properties changed from value to object types.

See
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/connect-to-an-existing-database-in-sql-server-data-tools?view=sql-server-ver16#EncryptTrustServerCertificate

All information is provided without guarantee and liability
  • Options
    wimreywimrey Posts: 10 Bronze 1
    Still no update on this? 
  • Options
    I had to rollback to VS 17.7 to resolve this.
  • Options
    Any updates on this @Tom_C?
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2023 6:52AM
    dbriskin said:
    I had to rollback to VS 17.7 to resolve this.
    I had to do the same but that's not really a solution of the problem.
  • Options
    @Tom_C
    Any updates on this?

• Options
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

The developers are still working on a fix for this issue. If you're able to downgrade Visual Studio to 17.7 as a temporary workaround, that should get you up and going in the meantime.

I appreciate your patience on this and will let you know of any updates that come our way.
  • Options
    DavidVerDavidVer Posts: 13 Bronze 3
    Any updates on the progress here?
  • Options
    Again several days past. @chrisqtran What's going on?
  • Options
    I do agree, It's been almost a month when the SCA is not usable with the latest VS and there is still no fix for this available?
  • Options
    @chrisqtran - do we have an update regarding this issue?
  • Options
    MathieuMathieu Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Agreed, we heavily rely on SCA for our devops flow. Need this fixed asap please. SSMS addin is a workaround but the experience is not so fluid
  • Options
    I wouldn't be too optimistic. It took months to implement support vor VS2022:
    https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/88504/will-sca-support-visual-studio-2022

Also, one of my tickets is in development since June. We can't use latest Change Autimation plugin because of a Newtonsoft.Json dependency error. This was once fixed and in a later version re-introduced.

Very unstable for us to use CA, we are not happy ...
  • Options
    Hi all,

Apologies for the delay on resolution for this, I'm really sorry for the disruption this has caused. Our development team have a couple blockers on release of a new version with a fix for this that they are actively working on.

At present, our advice is still to downgrade Visual Studio to 17.7 as a workaround.
    Sorry I don't have better news but we hope to have further update for you soon.
    Kind regards

• Options
    This is not an option for us, we use .NET 8 now. Why are features more important than bug fixes? Our customers would quit for such behaviour. Very unfavourable ...
  • Options
    Completely unacceptable!
    As @clinke said, we again paid for your delays in implementing updates and bugs fixed. 
    I believe that this is a critical bug and it doesn't have the right priority.
    Tom_C said:
    Hi all,

Apologies for the delay on resolution for this, I'm really sorry for the disruption this has caused. Our development team have a couple blockers on release of a new version with a fix for this that they are actively working on.

At present, our advice is still to downgrade Visual Studio to 17.7 as a workaround.
    Sorry I don't have better news but we hope to have further update for you soon.

• Options
    My sincere apologies for the delay. Our development team have just released a version including the fix for this, I've tested a build and created a new project and so far so good!
    If you now go to Extensions > Manage Extensions > Update - Redgate SQL Change Automation 2022

Any issues with this please let us know.
    Kind regards

• Options
    YLarenteYLarente Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    edited December 18, 2023 7:02PM
    After updating to 4.6.23352.2795 I am getting the following error when trying to open the Database Connection Dialog from within Visual Studio 17.8.3

<div>2023-12-18 14:00:04.666 -05:00|Error|RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.ConnectionDialog.VisualStudioConnectionDialog|1| Error in ShowConnectionDialog:</div><div>System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid Boolean.</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at System.Boolean.Parse(String value)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionDlg.Core.SqlServerConnectionService.GetUIConnectionInfoFromConnectionString(String connectionString, IServerConnectionProvider connDlgServerType)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionDlg.VS.VSConnectionMruManager.GetMruList()</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionDlg.UI.HistoryPageViewModel..ctor(IDependencyManager dependencyManager, ConnectionPropertySectionViewModel connectionPropertyViewModel, IEventsChannel channel, IConnectionMruManager mruManager, Boolean isConnectionExpanded)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionDlg.UI.ConnectionDialogViewModel..ctor(IDependencyManager dependencyManager, IEventsChannel channel, UIConnectionInfo ci, VerifyConnectionDelegate verifierDelegate, ConnectionDialogConfiguration config)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionDlg.UI.ConnectionDialogFrame..ctor(IDependencyManager dependencyManager, EventsChannel channel, UIConnectionInfo ci, VerifyConnectionDelegate verifierDelegate, ConnectionDialogConfiguration config)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionDlg.UI.ConnectionDialogWrapper.ShowDialog(IntPtr parent, UIConnectionInfo ci, IDbConnection& connection, Nullable`1& result, ConnectionDialogConfiguration config)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionDlg.UI.ConnectionDialogWrapper.ShowDialog(IntPtr parent, UIConnectionInfo ci, ConnectionDialogConfiguration config)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.ConnectionDialog.VisualStudioConnectionDialog.ShowSsdtConnectionDialog(Object connectionInfo)</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp;at RedGate.Versioning.Client.VsShell.VisualStudio.ConnectionDialog.VisualStudioConnectionDialog.ShowConnectionDialog(String connectionString)</div>
  • Options
    I installed the new SCA update, then re-upgraded to VS 17.8 and it looks like I'm all good now.  Thanks for the fix; I'm letting my team know.
  • Options
    It seems to run fine for me after the update. Thank you!
  • Options
    It seems the issue was resolved but it so slow building the project. In my case, it took 4 mins and 46 seconds to complete the build.
  • Options
    Yes, can confirm the error is fixed.