Options

Will SCA support Visual Studio 2022

Hi,

I think the question says it all... if the answer is yes, is there any time frame?

Regards,

Eric Lamontagne
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    StephanieHerrStephanieHerr Posts: 177 Gold 1
    Hi again Eric,  :) 

We are planning to support Visual Studio 2022.  Our SQL Prompt team has starting to look into this to understand how big the changes are.  We are waiting for some more information from Microsoft on when it moves from preview to release candidate, so unfortunately I don't have a timeframe yet.

Thanks!
    Stephanie   :-)  
    Thank you!
    Stephanie M. Herr    :-)
    Product Manager Database DevOps
  • Options
    StephanieHerrStephanieHerr Posts: 177 Gold 1
    Good news!  We have a beta release available.  If you'd like to try this release, then please get in touch with support@red-gate.com for the installer.  We hope to have the full release available on the marketplace soon.

Thank you for your patience.
    Thank you!

Answers

• Options
    hi Stephanie,

Sorry for the late reply...

It's great to know you're going to support VS 2022!
    If you need a beta tester, I'm available !

regards,

Eric
  • Options
    gregfiggregfig Posts: 27 Bronze 2
    Stephanie,

OK, VS 2022 is officially released.  You should have been ready to release.  I know it's been only a week, but of all my third party tools, you guys are the only one not available/ready.  No extensions for Redgate in VS 2022 currently exist.  Particularly SQL Change Automation.

Thanks, Greg
  • Options
    DavidVerDavidVer Posts: 13 Bronze 3
    Any update on when support for VS 2022 can be expected?

Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    Hi. 

The team is currently working on this and have met with the SQL Prompt team to learn about the issues they faced with supporting this new version.  We have a catch-up on Mon and I hope to know more then.  I'll add a reminder on my calendar to post another update then.

Thanks for chasing this.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    MrTakoyakiMrTakoyaki Posts: 2 New member
    Hi!
    Any update about support for VS 2022?

Thanks!
  • Options
    mtanmlhcmtanmlhc Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    I'd also like an update please... when will this be available?
  • Options
    Hello,

Can we AT LEAST get a timetable?  You guys are really dragging your feet on this one.  I'm used to this from other third party providers, but I am not used to this from Redgate.
  • Options
    Guys come on! Yes it will be nice to have support for 2022, but how do you know they are dragging their feet? It can be much more complex than you think it is.

Anyway, 2022 is still a month away :upside down:
  • Options
    Guys come on! Yes it will be nice to have support for 2022, but how do you know they are dragging their feet? It can be much more complex than you think it is.

Anyway, 2022 is still a month away :upside down:
    Complexity has nothing to do with it.  Communication is the issue.  If 2022 caused massive breaking changes, fine, communicate that.  If they have to redesign the entire process because of .NET 6, fine, communicate that.  Saying "the team is working on it" is not communication, it is stonewalling.

I can except a delay with meaningful communication, and I don't need all the nitty gritty details, just something more than "we're working on it".  I see this A LOT with other vendors, usually smaller ones.  Redgate usually does a really good job at communicating on issues, but they are strangely silent on this one, which is concerning.
  • Options
    Hi Greg,

By yelling and telling them that they are dragging their feet, they will communicate better?

I guess if you're using this tool, you know that software development is not always simple and yes,
    sometimes you think you can have it done rapidly and it ends up taking more time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Be nice and understanding when asking for information, you might be surprised.

Eric
  • Options
    We are actively working on this and plan to release at the beginning of Jan.  There were a lot of little changes with this release that required more work than expected.  There are also changes that we need to make so we don’t break the previous versions of Visual Studio.  We’ll post again once it’s available.  Thanks for bearing with us. 
    Thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2021 8:37AM
    We are actively working on this and plan to release at the beginning of Jan.  There were a lot of little changes with this release that required more work than expected.  There are also changes that we need to make so we don’t break the previous versions of Visual Studio.  We’ll post again once it’s available.  Thanks for bearing with us. 
    @StephanieHerr Thank you for the update 
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2021 8:40AM
    Thank you Stephanie.  This is all (most of us) wanted... an update!  Thanks again!
  • Options
    Adam_TAdam_T Posts: 1 New member
    @StephanieHerr thanks for the feedback last year, Any updates? It's almost mid Jan, and the lack of VS 2022 support is holding our team up from moving to .Net 6 for our project.
    Cheers,
    Adam
  • Options
    Mr_MagicMr_Magic Posts: 1 New member
    @StephanieHerr
    any update on this 1 month later?
    I understand it's probably a bigger undertaking porting from 32bit to 64bit support.
    What I don't quite understand is why you plan to support the older 32bit VS with the same installer as the 64bit.
    I guess it's probably time to maintain 2 different sources/solutions (one for 32 and one for 64 bit).
    I really hope your company can stem these efforts.
    Please let us know how it's going and provide an updated eta. IMHO I would definitely prioritize of releaseing a working VS 2022 installer asap over reusing the existing installer for all Visual Studios. It's 3 months now...
    What puzzles me most is that you seem to be quite far away from being in the loop with the product that you develop the extensions for. I assume you could have made effort earlier on, testing with preview releases :/
    anyway, wish you all the best and hope a stable release is available soon :)
  • Options
    BrendonMBrendonM Posts: 4 New member
    In the process of moving over to VS2022, was surprised that SCA is not available and found this thread. @StephanieHerr any update on this?
  • Options
    Hello @StephanieHerr,

Any news for us, January is almost over, some feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Eric
  • Options
    clinkeclinke Posts: 18 Bronze 1
    Still no feedback? We also would need this plugin support as soon as possible.
  • Options
    AnkoAnko Posts: 1 New member
    Hello there,

January is almost over, so an update would be nice!
  • Options
    Hi.  I was hoping to post some good news, but unfortunately, we hit another issue.  This is the number one priority for the team and they think they have a fix.  I will post another update tomorrow with some more information after the team has had a chance to try the fix.  Thank you for your patience.  
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Hi.  I was hoping to post some good news, but unfortunately, we hit another issue.  This is the number one priority for the team and they think they have a fix.  I will post another update tomorrow with some more information after the team has had a chance to try the fix.  Thank you for your patience.  
    Thank you for the update @StephanieHerr. We will look forward to the update tomorrow. Good luck to the team in nailing that issue.
  • Options
    Thank you @StephanieHerr for the feedback!

If you need a beta tester, I'm in!

Regards,

Eric Lamontagne
  • Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately, we are still hitting issues with the installer.  We worked around this and started more testing. We found an issue in the tool that we're trying to fix and will need to re-test. This is the team’s number one priority.

We love beta testers, but we don’t have a release for this yet due to the issue found. 

I'm sorry I don't have better news. I will continue to post updates here and will post as soon as we have a release. 

Thanks for your understanding! 
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Thank you for the update @StephanieHerr. Good luck to the team for figuring out the issue.
  • Options
    Please see the answer above.  We have a beta release available.  I scrolled to the bottom and missed it.  We have a few beta testers now and if all goes well, we should have fully on marketplace soon.  Thank you!
    Thank you!
  • Options
    wimreywimrey Posts: 10 Bronze 1
    Hi, any news on when this will be publicly available? 
  • Options
    TM5TM5 Posts: 1 New member
    Please see the answer above.  We have a beta release available.  I scrolled to the bottom and missed it.  We have a few beta testers now and if all goes well, we should have fully on marketplace soon.  Thank you!
    Hello, do you all have an ETA for the public release of SCA to Visual Studio 2022 marketplace?
    Thanks