Tab History Removal - Why??????

With the removal of Tab History from SQL Prompt I'm sure I'm not the only one tearing my hair out in frustration in using what is supposed to replace it. i.e. The awful SQL History
Yet another example of Redgate not listening to the paying customer who use SQL Prompt day in, day out.
I was using Tab History on a daily basis. It was perfect for my needs and didn't have any problems.
Now, for reasons I cannot fathom it has just been removed and we're told to use a replacement that is a poor substitute.

Does anybody else feel like I do? If so, then add your comments. I'm sure there is room for both Tab History and SQL History in SQL Prompt. So please Redgate bring back Tab History!

Comments

• aisbergaisberg Posts: 15 Bronze 1
    I have the same issue. Tab History was the most used feature. Now it is missing. And it looks like, there is some "history" instead of.

But this "History" can't be used as well as the "Tab History" before. It is all more cumbersome.

And a big problem is: I can't find how to rename the queries. Before (in Tab history) I used favorites, they got names. And that way I could organize the scripts. Now there is no more way to rename, at least not through the GUI. How to work with it, if there is now "SQLQuery4.sql", "SQLQuery5.sql" etc.? Or do I now have to save a query under a specific name first, so that it gets a proper name? But then you can also use the built-in functionality of SSMS to save and open scripts. Where is the added value then?

So please, if no "Tab History", then please provide the whole functionality again.
  • EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    OMG how do I get  my TAB HISTORY tab back? If this SQL History is supposed to replace it then someone dropped the ball big time because this thing sucks; at least for a quick easy to search like Tab History was.  
    With the removal of Tab History from SQL Prompt I'm sure I'm not the only one tearing my hair out in frustration in using what is supposed to replace it. i.e. The awful SQL History
    Yet another example of Redgate not listening to the paying customer who use SQL Prompt day in, day out.
    I was using Tab History on a daily basis. It was perfect for my needs and didn't have any problems.
    Now, for reasons I cannot fathom it has just been removed and we're told to use a replacement that is a poor substitute.

Does anybody else feel like I do? If so, then add your comments. I'm sure there is room for both Tab History and SQL History in SQL Prompt. So please Redgate bring back Tab History!
    YES! you are certainly NOT alone in this frustration. Even though there's just a few posts about it so far I imagine as more update their version of SQL Prompt they too will be very angered by how this was implemented; as a replacement of a highly useful and seemingly popular feature instead of making it an addiotnal feature so users could choose which to use. It's not unlike the Microsoft Ribbon fiasco where MS pushed out the Ribbon against users wishes and so many were frustrated with it that it spawned an industry of 3rd party vendors who provided apps that people would pay for, just to get rid of the ribbon and regain the menu & tool bar it removed. A very shameful period for MS. 
  • Rob_IQRob_IQ Posts: 17 Bronze 5
    EdCarden said:
    OMG how do I get  my TAB HISTORY tab back? If this SQL History is supposed to replace it then someone dropped the ball big time because this thing sucks; at least for a quick easy to search like Tab History was.  
    The best stable version with Tab Histoy that I use is 10.12.4.29949
    which you can get to and download from this page:
    https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp/release-notes-and-other-versions/sql-prompt-10-12-release-notes

*** Newer versions of 10.12 have Tab History too but seem to have a threading bug and often throw semaphore related exceptions (they don't crash ssms but do pop up).

If you uninstall 10.13.x and then install this version, your current history shoudl remain intact. At least that was my experience a few times ao far.
    You can always manually backup you the history files just in case something goes wrong.
    Those files should be here:
    %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10\

Rob_IQ said:
    EdCarden said:
    The best stable version with Tab Histoy that I use is 10.12.4.29949
    which you can get to and download from this page:
    https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp/release-notes-and-other-versions/sql-prompt-10-12-release-notes

*** Newer versions of 10.12 have Tab History too but seem to have a threading bug and often throw semaphore related exceptions (they don't crash ssms but do pop up).

If you uninstall 10.13.x and then install this version, your current history shoudl remain intact. At least that was my experience a few times ao far.
    You can always manually backup you the history files just in case something goes wrong.
    Those files should be here:
    %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10\

Thanks
  • Redgate dropped the ball BIG TIME with this. 
    Not even anything said in the release notes about Tab History being removed.
    I'm already thinking of using another product when renewal time comes around.
    Total lack of respect for people who have used SQL Prompt for a long time. 
    Redgate dropped the ball BIG TIME with this. 
    Not even anything said in the release notes about Tab History being removed.
    I'm already thinking of using another product when renewal time comes around.
    Total lack of respect for people who have used SQL Prompt for a long time. 
    I am equally upset over this and believe this was very unprofessional but Red-Gate has a history of being a great vendor and treating customers well (or at least that's been my experience) and I've been one for over a decade so I'm giving them a pass on this as long as they do the right thing about it and I believe they are. 
  • Fully agree.. Hitting ctrl-q all day like a maniac. Hope Redgate does something about this mess, and i hope they do it quick.

• GaryHGaryH Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    I downgraded to 10.12 to get Tab History back.  SQL History is just an awful half-baked mess.  It's slow, it hijacks ctrl-Tab so you have to use the mouse to get out of it, tons of useless iterations to scroll through (again, so slooooow), search just plain doesn't work.  Who on earth thought that gigantic throbber was a good idea?

Red Gate, please offer Tab History as an option in future versions, and for your own good, reassign everyone involved in the design of SQL History to someplace where they can't hurt anything.

Be warned that when you downgrade there's a chance Tab History will still be the victim of whatever changes SQL History permanently made. I uninstalled SQL Prompt and re-installed the last version with Tab History and to this day despite help from RG Support it's slow. It's not as bad as SQL History but it's not quick like it used to be.  Takes 10-20 seconds before it show's any search results
    Red-gate - If its not clear by now yo got a number of paying customers asking you NOT to fix SQL History but to make it optional ,completely separate the 2 so there's nothing shared. Maybe that will fix the slowness that SQL history causes to Tab History for this of us who downgrade to escape SQL History
    Anyone from Red-Gate care to provide any updates?
    It's been over 30 days guys and nothing aside from "Were working on it". We all work with code and we know things take time but for something like this I think a monthly update isn't asking for too much. 
  • jimVisage1980jimVisage1980 Posts: 21 Silver 1
    Another thing to consider for those who've reverted to an older version of SQL Prompt in order to get Tab History. The older version will not work with SSMS 19.x  :(

Another thing to consider for those who've reverted to an older version of SQL Prompt in order to get Tab History. The older version will not work with SSMS 19.x  :(

Jim - Have you had any issues with SSMS19? I installed it many months back and ended up having to stop using it after about 2 weeks because the thing always connects to the same server regardless of what server I specify. It's like stuck to one server. 
  • EdCarden said:

Jim - Have you had any issues with SSMS19? I installed it many months back and ended up having to stop using it after about 2 weeks because the thing always connects to the same server regardless of what server I specify. It's like stuck to one server. 
    Not using SSMS 19 hugely at the moment due to lack of support for some 3rd party tools. But connections are fine. Using version 19.02
  • SQLSiSQLSi Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    Agreed - the new History GUI could've been designed to be more intuitive.  My assumption was, red-gate had mistakenly released an older, (never before seen) defunct version of the tab history, but it seems not. 

The previous GUI was very easy to use in comparison. 

In the sprit of giving constructive feedback, I'd recommend those responsible have a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

SQLSi said:
    Agreed - the new History GUI could've been designed to be more intuitive.  My assumption was, red-gate had mistakenly released an older, (never before seen) defunct version of the tab history, but it seems not. 

The previous GUI was very easy to use in comparison. 

In the sprit of giving constructive feedback, I'd recommend those responsible have a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Well said. 
  • ggeier2ggeier2 Posts: 9 Bronze 1
    I've tried to use the SQL History for quite some time now, but it just doesn't work. The tab history was perfect. But in History -- I can't find anything, it's a mess.

Will there be any issues with me downgrading? I am using ssms 18.12.1 and SQL Prompt 10.13.15.3135.
    Its definitly a mess.
    I was hoping it would be a lot better by now... but it isn't.
  • Rob_IQ said:
    Its definitly a mess.
    And Redgate still aren't listening!
    Come renewal time for SQL Prompt licence this year I might just be saying, "Maybe we should look at another product from a company that doesn't seemingly treat it's loyal customers with indifference"

It quite simple, SQL History has it's uses, but Tab History is better at other things that SQL History is not.

So just bring back Tab History!

Rob_IQ said:
    Its definitly a mess.
    And Redgate still aren't listening!
    Come renewal time for SQL Prompt licence this year I might just be saying, "Maybe we should look at another product from a company that doesn't seemingly treat it's loyal customers with indifference"

It quite simple, SQL History has it's uses, but Tab History is better at other things that SQL History is not.

So just bring back Tab History!

I believe that RedGate doesn’t view Tab History as a product or part of one so much as a bonus feature they don't charge extra for so no one has any right to complain about it since it's a freebie. To that end why bother doing what the customers are requesting, just do whatever you want at least so long as its a free add on. I get the feeling that 1 or more persons with influence at RedGaye is behind this nonsense of no we can't bring Tab History back. I believe they also realize if they do then the data they collect of use of SQL Prompt will prove that customers use Tab History more often which would them make SQL HISTORY look like a bad product so just take away the customers ability to choose which one they prefer.

I'm not against their initial goal of a more robust and feature rich version of Tab History but they still should have kept both and let the customer determine which one is better 
  • Hi all,
    SQL History has replaced tab history, thus it will not be coming back. However, the team is actively reading your feedback on what can be done to improve SQL History. In order to help us prioritize our development efforts, we would like to ask you to provide us with some concrete examples on how SQL history is not meeting your needs. This will help us understand your pain points better and address them more effectively.