Options

Updating scheduled jobs schedule does not enable the schedule

jonesricjonesric Posts: 25 Bronze 1
Hi,

If I have a scheduled backup or restore job and the job has (successfully) run at the scheduled time, if I update that schedule to a new date/time in the future, the actual schedule is not (re-)enabled and I have to go into SSMS, find the job and re-enable the schedule manually.

I believe this post on an older version of SQL Backup is the same issue - 

https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/77628/sql-agent-job-schedule-is-disabled-after-editing-job

Is this "meant" to happen?  I mean, clearly a decision has been made for the product to work this way, but I've been caught out a few times by the disabled schedule and it seems silly to me so I was wondering what the thought process round this was.

*I should note that SQL Backup has the new date/time in the Schedules column but the Next Run column doesn't show the new date/time until the schedule has been enabled manually

Thanks,
Ric.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hello Ric,
    Thanks for your inquiry with the SQL Backup tool.
    Can you confirm what version of SQL Backup and SQL Server is involved with your setup? Normally changing the schedule for a SQL Backup Job within the SQL Backup GUI should affect the next run appropriately without any other steps needed.

Thanks!

Sean Quigley | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Hi, I'm on SQL Backup version 10.1.15.1874 and this behaviour has been seen on SQL 2017 RTM CU15.

Thanks,
    Ric.
  • Options
    Bill_OliverBill_Oliver Posts: 2 New member
    I am on the same version with the exact same behavior.
  • Options
    Could you please provide the steps to reproduce the error?

I created a job to back up some databases to run every 15 minutes.  After some scheduled runs, I modified to schedule to back up every 45 minutes, which pushed the next run time to after the earlier scheduled run time.  The schedule was still enabled within SSMS.

Thanks.
    SQL Backup - beyond compression
  • Options
    Hi all, I believe I have figured out what I'm doing wrong.  The issue only occurs if I am editing a job that had a one-off schedule, not a repeating one.

So, if I have an ad-hoc backup job that runs just once, if I then edit the schedule, because it's run successfully its 1 scheduled time, the schedule remains disabled, and so I have to manually enable it.  It's not (for me) the expected behaviour but I can see why it happens.