How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

xp_readerrorlog usage overload results in 100% CPU load

3 times in 9 days now, we experienced a build up in CPU load (to 100%) and a significant increase in connection count on an active cluster node, apparently caused by SQL Monitor calling xp_readerrorlog resulting in PREEMPTIVE_OS_GETPROCADDRESS waits (hundreds of them).

My setup consists of SQL Server 2016 Enterprise SP1 build 13.0.4466.4 with 2 cluster nodes, Windows 2012 R2/4-core/64 GB on ESX, everything running on a Compuverde metro storage cluster, with SQL Monitor base monitor service build 7.1.19.11592.

Redgate support is investigating too but does not have an answer yet. We have tried calling sp_cycle_errorlog several times with no visible effect. The only solution that worked for now was a hard reboot via the VMWare console because a logon to the Windows host was not possible due to the high CPU load (it caused RDP or other connection timeouts mainly), even Windows Failover clustering service did not work as expected.

Currently I've suspended cluster monitoring (obviously not what I want) to prevent another build up. So all is 'in the green' for now, except SQL Monitor for this cluster. I found https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/81020/restore-process-hung-with-preemptive-os-getprocaddress-wait-type which might shed some light on my problem as well, however the most important link in that post suggesting a solution, is dead.

Any thoughts/experiences/solutions? Anyone?