What are the challenges you face when working across database platforms? Take the survey
Options

SQL Compare option "Ignore authorization on schema objects" is not being triggered

Hi Redgate,

I'm having issues with a SQL Compare option, which is not being triggered in my deploy. I'm trying to ignore any changes made to a schema that relates to authorization, since my env's have diffrend users assigned to the schema. But my deployments keep overwriting the authorization because it's "inside" source control. I have the SQL Compare Option "Ignore authorization on schema objects" selected in both SQLCompare.exe

SQL Compare cmd:
1gr129ed5qju.png

SQL Compare tool:
2nmf4npepbc7.png

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Tim
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    I think the issue is that SQL Compare defines "Schema Objects" as objects inside a schema. This option therefore affects tables, views etc but not the schemas themselves. I think you'll need to filter out schemas in order to deploy just the changes you care about. Does Compare work as expected in that case?
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Bas_KBas_K Posts: 15 Bronze 1
    Hi Sam,

I do not want to exclude my schema entirely, I want the schema to be there, just not with this authorization change. Is there a way to filter this in sql source control?

Tim
  • Options
    Unfortunately this is not currently possible, I think because the specification of ownership is the main point of having a schema. I suspect ignoring authorization could create a lot of unexpected behaviour, although it's hard to be sure without understanding your use case.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software