Options

Restore to one moment in time from TRAN Log failing

wdwd Posts: 25
edited January 9, 2008 7:57AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi there,

I have been playing with the different backup and restore possibilities and have come up against a problem.

When I choose to do a restore of a transaction log and choose to restore to a certain point in time within the tran log the restore aborts.

Here is the T-SQL generated by SQLBACKUP:
master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [TEST_DB] FROM DISK = ''U:\Backup\BACKUPTEST_20080109.sqb'' WITH NORECOVERY, PASSWORD = ''test'', REPLACE"'

master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE LOG [TEST_DB] FROM DISK = ''U:\Backup\LOGBACKUPTEST_20080109.sqb'' WITH RECOVERY, PASSWORD = ''test', STOPAT = ''January 09 2008 10:25:08''"'

I got the full backup restored with no errors but the tran log restore gives the following error:
- VDI error 1010: Failed to get configuration from server. Check that the SQL Server instance is running, and that you have the SQL Server Systems Administrator server role. Error code: (-2139684861: The api was waiting and the timeout interval has elapsed.)

- Also check that the database is not currently in use.

- SQL error 3013: RESTORE LOG operation terminated abnormally.

- SQL error 3217: An invalid value was given for the STOPAT parameter.

If I perform a restore of the same tran log but let it restore the entire file I don't get the errors.

Am I doing something wrong here that stops the restore to an exact point in time?

regards

wd

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Is the value 'January 09 2008 10:25:08' accepted by your SQL Server instance for the STOPAT parameter, for native backups? Can you try using the value '2008-01-09 10:25:08'?

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Hi Peter,

that worked out fine.

Is it possible to get SQLBackup to change the format of this datetime field according to the locale settings of the sql server?

regards

wd
  • Options
    sbssbs Posts: 5 New member
    check change Region settings. It worked for me.