Restore to one moment in time from TRAN Log failing

wdwd Posts: 25
edited January 9, 2008 7:57AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi there,

I have been playing with the different backup and restore possibilities and have come up against a problem.

When I choose to do a restore of a transaction log and choose to restore to a certain point in time within the tran log the restore aborts.

Here is the T-SQL generated by SQLBACKUP:
master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [TEST_DB] FROM DISK = ''U:\Backup\BACKUPTEST_20080109.sqb'' WITH NORECOVERY, PASSWORD = ''test'', REPLACE"'

master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "RESTORE LOG [TEST_DB] FROM DISK = ''U:\Backup\LOGBACKUPTEST_20080109.sqb'' WITH RECOVERY, PASSWORD = ''test', STOPAT = ''January 09 2008 10:25:08''"'

I got the full backup restored with no errors but the tran log restore gives the following error:
- VDI error 1010: Failed to get configuration from server. Check that the SQL Server instance is running, and that you have the SQL Server Systems Administrator server role. Error code: (-2139684861: The api was waiting and the timeout interval has elapsed.)

- Also check that the database is not currently in use.

- SQL error 3013: RESTORE LOG operation terminated abnormally.

- SQL error 3217: An invalid value was given for the STOPAT parameter.

If I perform a restore of the same tran log but let it restore the entire file I don't get the errors.

Am I doing something wrong here that stops the restore to an exact point in time?

regards

wd

Comments