Options

Comparison of text fields

HermannHermann Posts: 4
Hi,

I'm using SQL Data Compare 5.2 to compare different rows in the same table. I have a name (varchar) which is set as my custom comparison key. Also in the table I have a "category" field. For the comparison I have setup a different filter on each side of the comparison so that the left side yields all rows with category a and they are compared to the rows in the right side with category B.

With this technique I try to compare two sets of rows in the same table. However I have problems when it comes to the text fields of the table. As shown on the below linked picture the row comparison shows that there is a difference in the field of the row, but when i double click on the text field, no lines of the field are marked as different. The table is a view based on a table in an SQL Server 2000 SP4 standard edition x86. The database collation is SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_CI_AS.

I really hope that you have tips for this problem!

datacompareError.jpg
Regards,
Jens Hermann

Comments

• Options
    Hello Jens,

Is the collation order on the text field same in both databases?
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

Yes the collation is the same, it is actual the same table and the same database. I'm comparing different rows in the same table / view using the filter features with a different where clause on each side.
    Regards,
    Jens Hermann
  • Options
    Hi Jens,

If the data is coming from the same table, it's hard to say why this difference would happen. Does this also occur with the 'trim trailing spaces' option turned on?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Brian,

I tried with the trim trailing spaces option, and that does not give any differences! But based on that hint I found out that in my application that views the data I spottet the difference. It is apparently a matter of trailing empty lines! But it should show up in the difference viewer, shouldn't it?
    Regards,
    Jens Hermann
  • Options
    Hi Jens,

Yes, it would be nice if the viewer could be changed to support hex as well as text so that you could identify these differences!
This discussion has been closed.