Comparison of text fields

HermannHermann Posts: 4
Hi,

I'm using SQL Data Compare 5.2 to compare different rows in the same table. I have a name (varchar) which is set as my custom comparison key. Also in the table I have a "category" field. For the comparison I have setup a different filter on each side of the comparison so that the left side yields all rows with category a and they are compared to the rows in the right side with category B.

With this technique I try to compare two sets of rows in the same table. However I have problems when it comes to the text fields of the table. As shown on the below linked picture the row comparison shows that there is a difference in the field of the row, but when i double click on the text field, no lines of the field are marked as different. The table is a view based on a table in an SQL Server 2000 SP4 standard edition x86. The database collation is SQL_Latin1_General_CP850_CI_AS.

I really hope that you have tips for this problem!

datacompareError.jpg
Regards,
Jens Hermann

Comments

• Hello Jens,

Is the collation order on the text field same in both databases?
  • Hi Brian,

Yes the collation is the same, it is actual the same table and the same database. I'm comparing different rows in the same table / view using the filter features with a different where clause on each side.
    Regards,
    Jens Hermann
  • Hi Jens,

If the data is coming from the same table, it's hard to say why this difference would happen. Does this also occur with the 'trim trailing spaces' option turned on?

Thanks!
  • Hi Brian,

I tried with the trim trailing spaces option, and that does not give any differences! But based on that hint I found out that in my application that views the data I spottet the difference. It is apparently a matter of trailing empty lines! But it should show up in the difference viewer, shouldn't it?
    Regards,
    Jens Hermann
  • Hi Jens,

Yes, it would be nice if the viewer could be changed to support hex as well as text so that you could identify these differences!
This discussion has been closed.