drag and drop scheduling

fatherjack2fatherjack2 Posts: 311
edited October 8, 2009 9:44AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

Would it be possible to allow the UI to drag and drop jobs to allow for rescheduling, either to accommodate a new process or to avoid conflicts?

If you could then it would need to allow the option to undo - in case of erroneous drag/drop action. Also if the database is one of many in a job it would need to offer the option to reschedule the whole job or split the database in question out of the job and into its own scheduled job.

This sort of ability would save lots of time over the current wizard process where rescheduling needs to be implemented.

Being able to Right Click and edit the job would be a great shortcut too.

thanks

Jonathan

Senior DBA
Careers South West Ltd

Comments

• RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Hi Jonathan,

Do you mean dragging a job entry from the fourth tab on the lower pane ('Jobs') to a database listed in the server tree view and the result of this being that the job is edited automatically to account for the database selected?

Currently, backup jobs can be edited by right clicking on their representative row in the jobs tabs.

Thanks,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software
  • Hi Robin,

No, I hadnt thought of that option. I was thinking that you select a database from the server on the left, locate the backup job in the timeline and move it by drag and drop or double-click to edit it. When the edit menu pops up you get a Do you want to edit this job for all databases or just this one (a bit like a calendar event messagebox) and then change the details as you need. One dialog, not a wizard, set the new values and save - job done.

It makes sense to be able to come at the edit phase from the job perspective too though, and dragging it over a database to tie the job and the database details together for the edit dialog is a good idea.

Jonathan

Senior DBA
    Careers South West Ltd
  • RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    Hi,

Yes, that sounds like a handy feature. I've put it in the tracking system so it comes up for review.

Thanks,
    Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software