ERASEFILES not working in 6.1?

tombriggstombriggs Posts: 12
edited September 25, 2009 1:24PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Earlier this week we upgraded from SQB 5.4 to 6.1, and I just noticed that old files are no longer being removed when backups are performed. In the log file there's a time gap between when the backup finishes and when the 'process ended' message is written, which would seem to be a scan of the directory to find files to delete, but... nothing is ever removed.

Strangely, removal of old files is still working correctly on our standby server. That's running 6.2, but I reviewed some logs from when it was running 6.1 and file removal was working then as well.

Any suggestions for what I can check to see why it's no longer working?

Thanks
-Tom

Comments

• Look at this previous post
    Delete existing backup not working

It mentions that V 6 will not delete V 5 backups.

Chris
    English DBA living in CANADA
  • Thanks. Disappointing, but thanks.

In case it helps someone in the future: the thread in question is

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=9512
  • Thank you both for your posts into the forum.

Unfortunately SQL Backup V6.0 through to V6.2.0.134, will not delete backup files created by previous versions, via the ERASEFILES or ERASEFILES_ATSTART.

The good news is there is a patch release of SQL Backup 6.2 that will fix this issue, V6.2.0.1000.

Please use this LINK to download the patch release.

The downloaded zip file contains two files:
    SQLBackupC.exe
    SQBCoreService.exe

To apply the new files:
    1. Ensure that no backup or restore task is running.
    2. Stop the SQL backup Agent Service.
    3. Navigate to the server componets, by default - C:\Program files\Red Gate\SQL Backup\(local) or SQL Instance.
    4. Rename the existing V6.2.0.134 SQLBackupC.exe and SQBCoreService.exe files, for example too OLDSQLBackupC.exe and OLDSQBCoreService.exe.
    5. Copy from the extracted zip the V6.2.0.1000 SQLBackupC.exe and SQBCoreService.exe files to the server components installtion folder.
    6. Restart the SQL Backup Agent.
    7. Ensure that the service starts successful and that you can perform a backup.

I hope the above helps.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie,

Will this patch become the new 6.2 download version when you run Check for Upgrades? If not I suppose it will be included in 6.3.

Thanks

Chris
  • Thank you for your reply.

The answer to your question is no. The SQL Backup download will remain at V6.2.0.134 until the release of SQL backup V6.3 and therefore will not be part of the 'Check for updates' process.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks for the reply Eddie. Any ideas when 6.3 might appear?

Chris
  • One further question Eddie. We have decided to give our V 6 backups the filetype of sq6 rather than sqb so we know it was a V 6 backup or a V 5 backup. Will 6.2.1000.0 be able to delete sqb files when we have set our backups to write sq6 files?

Thanks

Chris
  • Not sure if this is good news or not. In testing 6.2 I ran 2 benchmark tests running 5.4 to backup a 230Gb DB with compression level 2 and then level 3. I wanted to see the differences in size and time taken. Both backups went to the same folder with a filetype of sqb. I then upgraded to 6.2.0.134 and ran another backup of compression level 2 to the same folder but with a filetype of sq6. I am now trying to fill the disk and watch the retries but suprisingly the old sqb backups were deleted by my 6.2 backup as they were older than the erasefiles value. I wasn't expecting this.

This is a W2K3 R2 SP2 cluster running SQL2005 SP2 build 3330 running a backup with VERIFY.

Maybe no need for the 6.2.0.1000 version after all.

Chris