what the error means

xdaixdai Posts: 98
edited June 22, 2009 10:36PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am trying to restore a backup file stored on remote server, after add the file, i got read filelist error, sql error 3013, and sql error 3241, the media family on device is incorrectly formed , sql server cant process this media family. So what does that means? and how to fix that. Thanks

Comments

• more info: the backup copy is created on the sql server 2005 box, and we put it on a sql server 2000 (sp4) box to tell the server (where sql 2005 on) to restore it.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

I suspect that the backup file you are using for the restore has become corrupt.

If I have understood your actions correctly, you performed a backup using SQL Backup on a Server A (SQL 2005). You then copied the backup file from Server A to another location, Server B (SQL 2000 machine). Next you attempted a restore of the backup file located on Server B.

I have known the above process to corrupt a backup file, particularly if the file was copied using Windows Explorer.

You can check to see if the copied backup has corrupted using a hash generator and create a checksum for each backup file. If the checksum hash generated is not identical, the backup file used in the restore is most likely corrupt.

You can download a checksum MD5 hash generator using this LINK

If you wish to copy the SQL Backup file from location A to location B and restore using the file at location B. I recommend that you either:

A. Use the COPYTO argument within the backup job to copy the file to location B.
    or
    B. Make use of our Copy Tool which can be download from our ftp site using this LINK
    or
    C. Use an alternative copy application such as 'XCopy' or 'RoboCopy'.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,

Server A couldn't remain that many copies, so we copy the backup each day using Avamar to another location, yesterday i try to retrieve the backup which dated two weeks ago, so the analyst retreive that copy from avamar server and put in server B, (they are located in the same location), so this morning i try to restore the backup to server A and spcecify the file location on server B, got error. So you suspect the copy from Avamar to server B corrupted the file? Is that perform a checksum to find out? thanks
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Are you trying to restore a SQL Server 2005 database on a SQL Server 2000 server instance? That cannot be done.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8