Error taking/copying backup over the network

vasukivasuki Posts: 8
edited May 6, 2009 3:39PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have just started to use Red-gate SQL Backup 5 tool.
I tried to create backup over the network also tried to copy the backup over the network both the ways I am getting the following error.
(both the servers(source and destination) are in the same network and all the services are running under domain user which has access riths to access the desination folder)

SQLTEST2: Backup - Failed
============================

Performing full backups - Failed

This operation failed with errors.

Backing up NAVSQL (full database) to:
Error 500: Failed to create backup folder : \\SQLTEST3\Share\Red-gatebackupError 505: No valid SQL Backup file names entered.
SQL Backup exit code: 505

Updating SQL Server information - Successful

This operation completed successfully.
Vasuki Nimalan, Lals Group,Dubai

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum and sorry that you have encountered this problem.

I suspect that this problem is a permissions issue. You must give the account given to the SQL Backup Agent Service permissions to the network share.

This link to a pdf document provides further information on using SQL Backup to a network share.

You can also run the following query to ensure that the account given to the SQL Backup Agent Serrvice has sufficient permissions on the network share:

EXECUTE master..sqbutility 999, 'RWE', '\\testsrv\backup'

If this is successful and the agent as read (R), write (W), and execute (E) permissions, the query will return:

<SQBUTILITYRESULT>:1:

If there is a problem, the query will return a value of 0, followed by a message, for example:

<SQBUTILITYRESULT>:0:Folder does not exist : \\testsrv\backup

If the SQL Server and the network share server do not participate in the same Windows domain, you can use matching Windows local user names and passwords on each server to perform the same task. This practice is commonly known as 'matching accounts'.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com