Options

SQL Backup and Amazon Transport

fishusafishusa Posts: 8
edited June 1, 2009 8:52AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello all,

We are running Sql Backup Lite on our production server. We also are an Amazon Merchant and have their AMTU program set up. AMTU transports customer's orders to our production server via XML files. AMTU resides as a service and runs 24/7.

The problem is when SQL Backup Lite runs at 3:30 AM, it seems to interfere with the AMTU service and causes it to stop. There is an entry in the event viewer under the System Log, and all it says is that the AMTU process has terminated unexpectedly.

Has anyone experienced this before? Its not a terrible problem, as the solution is to just restart the service. However, around Christmas time, we get swamped with Amazon orders and having them all pile up until the morning would be very cumbersome.

Thank you.

J.R. Murray
I.T. / Programmer
FishUSA.com - America's Tackle Shop!(TM)

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

The SQL Backup process should not interfere at all with the Amazon Merchant AMTU application.

Unless the server is out of resources (Memory, CPU) and the overhead of performing a backup kills the AMTU program.

Does the AMTU program stop at the exact same time that the backup job starts or during the backup process?

Is the backup job successful?

Do you have any other maintenance task or tasks running at this time period?

What is the size of the database you are backing up using SQL Backup Lite?

Is it possible for you to try a native SQL Server backup of your database for one or two nights to see if the same issue occurs?

A support call has been created for this issue, the call reference is F0021899.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Eddie,

Sorry for not replying sooner as I forgot about this post!

1) AMTU stops at 3:31 AM, which is one minute after SQL Backup runs at 3:30 AM

2) No other maintenance tasks are running at this time. I have since rescheduled all tasks to have almost no overlap. There is no overlap around any of the time that SQL Backup is running

3) We used the native SQL Server backup for many years to backup our DB with AMTU running in the background and there was never a problem.

4) Our total DB size is around 25 GB.

In the month or so since I have posted, this has happened around 10 times. It is not the end of the world, but it is annoying to have to restart AMTU then get a bunch of orders in at once, especially if some of them are expedited.