Options

back up log RIGHT before full backup

jchertudijchertudi Posts: 13 Bronze 2
Using SQL Backup 5.4 on Windows 08/SQL 08
We run full backups each Sunday on 2000 databases, TLOG backups every weeknight at 6pm. I thought I could restore to any point in time with this model, but it came to my attention this week that i can not restore to any point in time in the window between the Friday TLOG backup and the Sunday full. Or at least the SQB GUI will not let me restore to any such point.

When i tried to restore to Saturday at 7.45p, my options were:
Friday log 6pm or earlier
Sunday Full 4AM
Monday TLOG any time after Sunday 4AM

Seems like there should be a configuration or job so that I can backup the TLOG immediately before the FULL backup, thereby creating 6 logs a week but letting me restore to any point. Possible?

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

You are not able to restore to any point in time between Friday Tlog and Sunday Full backup because no log backup has been performed between this time (and hence GUI doesn't give you the option).

Depending on disaster recovery requirements of your environment, I would schedule log backups between Fri TLog and Sunday Full backup.
    jchertudi wrote:
    Seems like there should be a configuration or job so that I can backup the TLOG immediately before the FULL backup, thereby creating 6 logs a week but letting me restore to any point. Possible?

To achieve above, the easiest way in my view would be to -- modify your full backup job/ script. Add a step/ command to do a log backup just before your full backup.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software