How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Backups alert query regarding system databases

PDredge_AgilisysPDredge_Agilisys Posts: 9 New member
edited July 8, 2021 12:58PM in Redgate Monitor
To whom it may concern,

Does the differential backup alert which is disabled by default, does this also monitor system databases?

If not is there a way of filtering them out at Group/server level.

Answers

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi @PDredge_Agilisys,

That alert, if enabled, will also monitor system databases. You can't filter the system databases out per se, but you can enable the alert globally and then disable the alert at the specific system database level to have it not be raised for those databases.

Here I have already enabled the Differential backup overdue alert at the All servers level and have now drilled down to the specific level of the master database on my SQL2012 named instance to select the alert at that level to customize:

I then customize it at that level so that it will not be raised:

Which you can see now shows that, when you drill down to that level, the alert is disabled at that level:

You can also do this for all master, model msdb and tempdb databases more easily using the API - there are two examples you would want to combine found on the Configuration > Example PowerShell scripts section:

The top one just needs to be modified to be for the Differential Backup Overdue Alert and the second one shows you how to apply that to all e.g. "master" databases (rather than the C drive as the example shows).

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Thanks for this Alex. I will look into the powershell option now.

Kind Regards Phil
  • Options
    Hi Alex, my colleague wrote the powershell and the team looked over it and it worked. The All servers level was disabled for differential backup when the powershell script was run. After it ran it impacted settings on all servers under all base monitors at the system db level. All dbs we do want to monitor remained at inherited. When differential was enabled at all servers level it worked as desired.
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi @PDredge_Agilisys,

Excellent, glad that's helped get things configured the way you want!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?