How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

DB Storage delay - no alert

We had a failure of SFP module (connection between server to DB storage) which was solved by failover to second path. Database files were not accessible during failover - 22873ms. SQL Monitor didn't recognize this event. Is there possibility for monitoring this case?

Error log from Windows Event Log:

Description of Event ID 4361, IML Class Code 17, Event Code 11: Fibre Channel Host Controller has a new  Status notConnected
If the controller status is failed, replace the controller.

A fail-over on \Device\MPIODisk1 occurred.

\Device\MPIODisk1 is currently in a degraded state. One or more paths have failed, though the process is now complete.

SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [G:\DB_Log\XXX_log.ldf] in database id 8.  The OS file handle is 0x0000000000001CAC.  The offset of the latest long I/O is: 0x0000168b12b600.  The duration of the long I/O is: 22873 ms.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi,

SQL Monitor does not look or query the Windows Event log, so it would not have an alert specifically for that message in the Windows Event logs. 

SQL Monitor would only know there was a problem if it tried to query the entity and there was an issue - likely would need to be querying the database specifically and it failing (Monitoring Error - SQL Server Data Collection alert probably) or, if there was a SQL Server Error log entry for any issues that were higher than the defined severity threshold (20 or 21 by default) then alerts would have been raised for that.

You can also check the SQL Monitor log files to ensure that there were no problem monitoring the server / database when the above occurred.  
    To download the log files go to Configuration, and under Diagnostics, click Retrieve log files.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com