Backup Files created even when SQLBackup errors

ChrisAVWoodChrisAVWood Posts: 361
edited April 2, 2009 6:38AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

We managed to fill up our backup disk this Saturday because we ran out of disk space during a backup. The partial backup files remained on the disk causing the Sunday backups to fail as well with a lot more partial backup files remaining on the disk.

We run with the cleanup happening after the backup has completed.

Is there a way to have the partial backup files get deleted if SQLBackup fails?

Thanks

Chris
English DBA living in CANADA

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

I maybe incorrect, I thought SQL Backup checked to ensure that there was sufficient disk space before commencing a backup task and error if the check failed.

A support call has been created for you, the call reference number is F0020727. Can you please send to support@red-gate.com, 2 or 3 example SQL Backup Log Files for us to look at. If you include your call reference in the subject field of your e-mail, this will ensure that the correct call is updated.

How often has this event occurred? Is it the first occurrence? Or happens intermittenly? Or every time you attempt a backup?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie,

Our situation is that we had enough disk space when the jobs started but we had a number run concurrently and they used up all the disk space. I am looking at the entries for one of the failed backups and it records a Warning 210 system error 112. This is followed by an error 620, SQL error 3013, SQL error 3271 and SQL error 3202. There is a number in the compressed size. The first time the the 241Gb shows a compressed size of 6.9Gb when it would normally be around 19Gb.

These jobs are run as SQL Agent jobs specifying verify. Is there a setting I should be adding to make sure the backup is deleted if it fails in the creation?

Thanks

Chris
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup doesn't check for available disk space prior to running a backup, as it doesn't know:

1. the volume of the data that needs to be backed up
    2. the compressibility of the above data

At the moment, there isn't an option to delete backup files that have been partially generated.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Okay Petey,

Something we will have to watch for in the future. Maybe I should suggest that the backup file be deleted if there is an error in the creation.

Chris
  • I am going to make this a feature request then.

if the backup fails because of an out of space issue then please DELETE the incomplete backup file from the disk.

You should be able to know that this was a disk full problem by the error messages that get thrown.

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

I have logged your feature request.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software