How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

What Monitored Objects can be assigned to a group?

I've always just assigned servers to groups, but I read in the documentation that you can't assign instances to groups but you can assign a cluster. you can, of course assign a group.  What other restrictions are there?  

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @Phil_Fact0r ,

That is true, you are only able to add the highest level of an entity to a group (i.e. a standalone server or a cluster).  You cannot add the nodes of the cluster to different groups nor can you add SQL instances to groups independently of the entities that own them. 

Groups by top level

But entities have multiple nodes and SQL instances

So, as you can see, a cluster with three nodes and SQL instances on those nodes will all be grouped based on the group that the cluster is in - "1 - Production" in this case.

This is something we've been asked for previously and there is a Uservoice here for grouping by instance rather than server: https://sqlmonitor.uservoice.com/forums/91743-suggestions/suggestions/34545691-group-instances-not-servers

I hope that helps clarify, please do vote on the Uservoice if this is something you would like to see!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?