Options

SQL Source Control Integration Problems with SSMS 18.2

After updating my development system (removed VS2015, added VS2019 & SSMS 18.2, final state: VS2017, VS2019, SSMS 17.9.1, & SSMS 18.2). Now in either SSMS 17.9.1 (x)or SSMS 18.2 when I open the Databases leaf in Object Explorer and attempt to open a database leaf that is bound to TFS via SQL Source Control I get the following error:

To use this database with SQL Source Control, you must have Team Explorer installed. This is installed with Visual Studio.

This use to work in SSMS 17.9.1 before the above changes were made, and I expected it to also work in SSMS 18.2 (when either one is run exclusively). How can I fix this?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi PeterK, thank you for your forum post.

What is the full version number of SQL Source Control you are using?  The latest version is V7.0.34.9590 which can be downloaded using this link.

Have you tried to reinstall SQL Source Control?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    PeterKPeterK Posts: 3 New member
    Eddie, I'm running the current version now (7.0.34.9590). Yes, first I uninstalled all the tools, then reinstalled from the latest version.
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Peter

can you please try the following to see if the steps below resolve the problem?

The TFS Extended Client allows SQL Source Control to connect to Team Foundation Server without using a Team Explorer client.

This also provides support for TFS 2015 and later. To use this client:

1. Make sure Management Studio is closed.
    2. Go to the SQL Source Control config files folder: %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 7
    3. Open RedGate_SQLSourceControl_Engine_EngineOptions.xml in a text editor.

4. Inside the EngineOptions version tags, add:
      <TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>TfsExtendedClient</TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>

For example:
    <EngineOptions version="3" type="EngineOptions"><TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>TfsExtendedClient</TeamFoundationServerDllOverride></EngineOptions>

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options
    PeterKPeterK Posts: 3 New member
    Eddie,
    I made the requested changes to file RedGate_SQLSourceControl_Engine_EngineOptions.xml. Following are the new contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?><!----><EngineOptions version="3" type="EngineOptions">  <DefaultTraceMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>30000</DefaultTraceMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>  <TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>TfsExtendedClient</TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>  <IgnoreDataDirectory>True</IgnoreDataDirectory>  <TraceCacheDatabase>RedGateChangeLog</TraceCacheDatabase></EngineOptions>

I originally commented out the original element and added the same one back with your text value (TfsExtendedClient). But after restarting SSMS it looks like it removed the commented out version...
    At any rate, the current contents are what is shown above.

This did not work. Now I don't get that error message when opening a database tree, but I also no longer see the little round checkout status indicators by each database name...
  • Options
    Hi Peter,
    Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

If you add the line <IgnoreTfsPolicies>True</IgnoreTfsPolicies> in your EngineOptions.xml so it becomes similar to the following

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <!---->
    <EngineOptions version="3" type="EngineOptions">
      <DefaultTraceMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>30000</DefaultTraceMinimumInterQueryTimeInMillis>
      <TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>TfsExtendedClient</TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>
      <<IgnoreTfsPolicies>True
    </IgnoreTfsPolicies>
      <IgnoreDataDirectory>True</IgnoreDataDirectory>
      <TraceCacheDatabase>RedGateChangeLog</TraceCacheDatabase>
    </EngineOptions>

Does this action resolve the problem for you?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd