cannot connect to server with encrypt on

fatherjack2fatherjack2 Posts: 311
edited February 20, 2009 11:30AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I have a server (Server C) at our DR location that we are looking to use as the warm standby for log shipping. I have installed SQL Backup remotely over the same connection that will support the data transfer. Backup history and activity has been imported so the connection is working fine. However, when I select Edit | Options | Encrypt Connection the server gets a red cross on its icon and the timeline shows no further refreshes.

Server B is on our local network and has had SQL Backup installed and working for months. Some of these backups use encryption and full compression to transport a copy of the backup up the a file share on Server C. These jobs work without fail.

I have not yet registered the SQL Backup installation on Server C, is encryption disabled until the software is activated? If not, can you please advise what might be preventing me from enabling encryption on the actual server connection please?

regards

Jonathan

Senior DBA
Careers South West Ltd

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

When you edit the server connection properties, (Right Click the Server, Select Edit ->Select the Options Tab), have tried increasing the Connection time-out setting from the default of 15 seconds?

Also have you tried specifying a Network protocol?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • I have set the timeout to 45s and fixed the protocol to TCP/IP and the red cross icon appears immediately after the Edit SQL Server dialog is closed when the Encrypt connection checkbox is checked.

As an aside, is it a known issue that F5 doesnt refresh the server connection, it has to be selected from the View menu?

Senior DBA
    Careers South West Ltd
    Thank you for your reply.

What is the exact error message you receiving when attempting to connect after enabling the 'Encrypt connection' option?

If you mouse click on the 'red box' with the 'white X', another dialog type box will appear giving an explanation for the connection failure.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the further enquiry. I have the situation now where its all working so I cant tell you what happens when I click the red cross icon! Maybe we had network conditions that were causing the connection some problems..?

If the issue comes back then I'll get back in touch.

Thanks

Jonathan

Senior DBA
    Careers South West Ltd
  • OK, a little later in the day and the red cross is back...

the error message is :
    A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.)

I look forward to further advice.

Jonathan

Senior DBA
    Careers South West Ltd
    Thank you for your reply.

If the SQL Server you are attempting to connect to is SQL Server 2000

Can you please try the following:

Start-->Programs-->Microsoft SQL Server-->Client Network Utility

Is the "Force Protocol Encryption" option disabled or unchecked?

If SQL Server 2005:

Check the following setup:
    Protocols:
    Share Memory Enabled
    Named Pipes Disabled
    TCP/IP: Enabled, Keep Alive: 30000, Listen All: Yes, No Delay: No,
    Dynamic Ports are disabled
    VIA: Disabled
    Also ensure SQLBrowser service is up and running.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd