SQL Agent cannot be started

vad2319vad2319 Posts: 40
edited February 11, 2009 10:19PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello,
We had setup the Log Shipping process last year and it was working fine. But last month the password for both the servers were changed.

server1 is still able to generate the backup files locally but they are not being restored on the server2.
I tried to "start the SQL Agent" from Red gate GUI and got the following error message. Please let me know how can we get the process up again?
BTW, I have restarted the "SQL Backup agent" on both the servers. Please advise.

Start SQL Agent - Failed
========================

Start Agent - Failed

StartService() returned error 0, 'The operation completed successfully.'

Refreshing server information - Successful

This operation completed successfully.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Perhaps you need to update the password for the SQL Server Agent service startup account, using the Windows Service Manager?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I had updated the password for the SQL Server Agent service startup account yesterday, using the Windows Service Manager. It is up and running on both the servers(based on Windows service manager). But on the Red Gate GUI for the destination server, it says "Your SQL Server agent does not appear to be running. Start the SQL SERVER agent?"

I also tried restarting the machines.

Please advise.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Does the SQL Backup GUI report the status correctly if you were to unregister the server, and register it again
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8