Better UI support for high DPI monitors

I've just upgraded to the latest version of SQL Source Control hoping that the UI would finally be fixed (or at least improved) on my 4K monitors. But no, certain screens/views still look like Picasso designed them.  Scroll bars are sometimes inaccessible, buttons are either *tiny*, or HUGE, etc etc.  Are there any workarounds, or plans to fix this properly?

Answers

• Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    No current plans to improve this I'm afraid @David_C but I've passed this on to the SOC team.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • David_CDavid_C Posts: 2 New member
    Sad to see that this issue is getting zero traction after 8+ months. Still unusable in certain circumstances on high DPI monitors.  :{

• @david_c Apologies about this. Unfortunately as an SSMS add-in SQL Source Control uses WinForms, which is a dated technology that doesn't lend itself working well in high DPI. We have plans in 2020 to include a standalone SQL Source Control client to our portfolio, which will leverage more modern GUI components that should behave a lot better. 
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Mike_CMike_C Posts: 11 New member
    edited June 2, 2020 3:48PM
    Meanwhile we'll just keep paying those annual subscription fees...
  • JamesPJamesP Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    @david_c Apologies about this. Unfortunately as an SSMS add-in SQL Source Control uses WinForms, which is a dated technology that doesn't lend itself working well in high DPI. We have plans in 2020 to include a standalone SQL Source Control client to our portfolio, which will leverage more modern GUI components that should behave a lot better. 

Do you have any news on the standalone SQL Source Control client?
  • @JamesP - Current plans are start of next year. Sorry for the delay!
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • acrawfordacrawford Posts: 13 Bronze 2
    Eagerly awaiting this! It's been quite a while.
  • You guys need to sort this out not a single dialog is readable. 2 years since reported in this thread - prices are the same. 
    SQL Source Control is literally the only application left that doesn't scale properly on my high DPI monitors
  • Kendra_LittleKendra_Little Posts: 139 Gold 3
    edited September 16, 2021 8:38AM
    Hi all,

A quick progress update on what @David Atkinson mentioned above (I'm combining two of his notes here).

Unfortunately as an SSMS add-in SQL Source Control uses WinForms, which is a dated technology that doesn't lend itself working well in high DPI. We have plans in 2020 2021 to include a standalone SQL Source Control client to our portfolio, which will leverage more modern GUI components that should behave a lot better. 

This work is currently underway and we are close to having an early preview to share with folks. 

If you have a DPI issue with SQL Source Control which is blocking your work, please do open a support ticket with our team to get help finding a workaround or to see if we can make an adjustment to make this more workable for you.

If you would like to join in on an early preview for the new standalone SQL Source Control client please email our team at databasedevops@red-gate.com.

Cheers,
    Kendra 
  • Hi @Kendra_Little

Thanks for chasing this up - i have opened a support request (#247958) as suggested. Hopefully there are some suitable solutions to this.

When will the early preview for standalone source control be available?

TIA

Adam
    Unfortunately as an SSMS add-in SQL Source Control uses WinForms, which is a dated technology that doesn't lend itself working well in high DPI.
    WinForms has supported High DPI since 2017 with .NET Framework 4.7. See High DPI support - Windows Forms .NET Framework | Microsoft Docs. All you have to do is compile against the newer version of .NET and you get high DPI support automatically.
    Unfortunately as an SSMS add-in SQL Source Control uses WinForms, which is a dated technology that doesn't lend itself working well in high DPI.
    WinForms has supported High DPI since 2017 with .NET Framework 4.7. See High DPI support - Windows Forms .NET Framework | Microsoft Docs.
  • TUellnerTUellner Posts: 56 Bronze 5
    I'm completely dead in the water too. I can't even see buttons anymore. SQL Prompt had similar issues to start and now works fine on my 4k monitor scaled at 250%.
  • DavidFallahDavidFallah Posts: 1 New member
    Absolutely appalling stuff, their UI has always been broken for me but now it's managed to get even worse. Spent the past 30 minutes trying to figure out how to commit something because the "Commit" button had disappeared. https://i.imgur.com/6p7DF7l.png

Finally figured out how to work around this issue by changing my display settings in a way that let the button appear again (while squinting really hard at the screen to re-type my commit message): https://i.imgur.com/n4aUJdg.png
  • tinkusur said:
    You guys need to sort this out not a single dialog is readable. 
    FYI, SQL Source control is pretty much being phased out in favour of Flyway Desktop. I learned this via our account manager maybe 2 years ago and recently got around to migrating it all. There's still no proper support for Static Data though, but you can tweak the Flyway source repo format to work with both Source Control and Data Compare.