Visual Studio 2008 Database Edition GDR completion keys.

wsorannowsoranno Posts: 65
edited February 3, 2009 10:31AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I have a .sql file open and have used the menu to connect to the server.
When I type in the following:
Select *
from dbo.table_name as tn

Then place the cursor after the *, I get the prompt "Press TAB to expand wildcard". When I press the TAB key I get a tab. The wildcard is not replaced.

Also, when I type, in the above sql, tn. sql prompt will show the correct columns but pressing TAB will not select the column that is currently high lighted. If I double click with the mouse, it will select it.
Space works, but I normaly do not have the spacebar as a completion key.

BTW, in the options, TAB is checked as a completion key.

Using a period does work, but then I have to press Delete to remove it.
Thanks
Bill Soranno
MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
Database Administrator
Winona State University
Maxwell 143
wsoranno@winona.edu

"Quality, like Success, is a Journey, not a Destination" - William Soranno '92

Comments

• Does this seem to happen on all tables (system tables and user tables), or is it certain objects that it affects?
    Do you have SQL Server Management Studio installed and, if so, does the tab key work as expected when using SSMS rather than VS2008? Has the tab key ever worked in VS2008 and if so were there any changes to VS just before it stopped working? Do you have any other third party add-ins installed?

If it works in SSMS and doesn't work with any tables at all, I'd be inclined to try a reinstall of SQL Prompt to see if this reinstates the key bindings.
  • Ben,
    It affects all objects. I have SSMS 2008 installed and SQL Prompt work as expected there.
    The tab key did work in VS2008 prior to upgrading to the GDR.
    I have several of the Red Gate products installed. They were installed prior to the upgrade and did not affect SQL Prompt.
    I do not remember If I have any other third party products installed. If I do, they were installed a while ago and did not affect SQL Prompt.

I will try a re-install, and let you know how that works.
    Thanks
    Bill Soranno
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
    Database Administrator
    Winona State University
    Maxwell 143
    wsoranno@winona.edu

• Ben,
    The reinstall fixed the problem.

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks
    Bill Soranno
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
    Database Administrator
    Winona State University
    Maxwell 143
    wsoranno@winona.edu

• Unlike previous versions of VSTS Database Edition, the GDR no longer has a validation database, so if your SQL Prompt was pointing at this, it will no longer function as you expect. The only alternative I can suggest is to point SQL Prompt at the deployment database.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • David,
    I did do a "Connect to Server" and chose the deployment database, but the tab key did not work.
    Now that I have reinstalled SQL Prompt, the tab key works.
    Although I still do need to do the "Connect to Server", it is a minor inconvience.

Otherwise, SQL Prompt is a great product that I would recommend to other DBA's.

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks
    Bill Soranno
    MCP, MCTS, MCITP DBA
    Database Administrator
    Winona State University
    Maxwell 143
    wsoranno@winona.edu

• I'm glad the re-install fixed the problem for you. Hopefully your post will help others who are experiencing similar behaviour.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software