SmartAssembly 6.13 has been released

Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
edited March 18, 2019 10:30AM in SmartAssembly

This is a minor beta release of SmartAssembly.

With this release we introduced support for .NET Core and .NET Standard. Although we made sure to ensure the best experience, this is considered a beta version and some features may not be fully implemented yet. Refer to the Known issues section for more information, and refer to the Release Notes for full details of what will be coming with the full release: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sa6/release-notes-and-other-versions/smartassembly-6-13-release-notes.

If you have any suggestions, don’t hesitate to use the feedback link inside the application. We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Major features

• SA-2018,SA-2092: Added .NET Core support.
  • SA-2094: Added Portable PDB support.
  • SA-2092: Added .NET Standard support.
  • SA-2092: Extended .NET Framework support (up to 4.7.2).

Fixes

• SA-2064: Obfuscating an assembly containing a reference to an assembly already obfuscated with another tool, is now succeeding.

Known issues

• .NET Core 1.0 and 1.1 are not currently supported.
  • Console applications written in F# are not currently supported.
  • Libraries written in F# targeting .NET Standard 2.0 are not currently supported.
  • Self-contained .NET Core web applications targeting .NET Framework are not currently supported.
  • Entity Framework and Entity Framework Core is partially supported.
  • Some crucial classes may need to be manually excluded from pruning and obfuscation.
  • Merging and embedding assemblies into a .NET Core application is not currently supported.
    • It’s possible to build, but you may need to manually edit your .deps.json file.
Have you visited our Help Centre?
Tagged:

Comments

• JohnnyXP64JohnnyXP64 Posts: 2 New member
    hi guys,

i found based on this article 
    https://documentation.red-gate.com/sa6/adding-other-optimizations

that you removed the great option 
    "I want to reduce unused allocated memory" option was removed in SmartAssembly 6.12.4.

which btw you never mention anything about it in the official release log:
    https://documentation.red-gate.com/sa6/release-notes-and-other-versions/smartassembly-6-12-release-notes

care to explain why you removed that great feature that was actually the only thing that was indeed working fine compared to the sealed classes which causes many crashes? 

thanks
    John
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited March 1, 2019 9:03AM
    This was removed because it caused a number of issues; and it was never really that effective in the first place in our experience. You are right that it should have been in the release notes though, I've added it.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • JohnnyXP64JohnnyXP64 Posts: 2 New member
    Russell D said:
    This was removed because it caused a number of issues; and it was never really that effective in the first place in our experience.
    we have to agree to disagree on this, after years of using your tool my experance was great, and the difference huge, 500mb of RAM usage down to few kilobytes sometimes and only spiking when the application was doing something, and not not just stay idle!

plus it was a great selling point to some customers that care about resources and not been able to upgrade their pcs or servers so easily :cry:

the sister option as i mentioned yes, was indeed caused various issues and made the application unstable.

any plans to replace it with something "better" in the future? any other optimizations you could add?