Does SQL Backup work with Docker Windows containers

Is have been trying to add a new server that is a docker container running mssql-server-windows-developer but, so far, have been unsuccesful with this. Is it possible to use SQL Backup to access such containers?
Tagged:

Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Gooders

Thank you for your Forum Post.

To my knowledge, SQL Backup has never been tested with a Docker container.

My knowledge of this technology is very small.  However, providing the user installing SQL Backup has security permissions to the Windows registry and to the master database of the SQL instance, I am not aware of any previously reported problems.

Are you experiencing any particular error message or exit code?

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • GoodersGooders Posts: 7 New member
    Hi Eddie

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to access a linux container with SQL Server 2017 installed and most likely we need to configure AD support for the server components to be installed (can they even be installed on a Linux environment?).
    Regards
    Graham
  • Hi Gooders

Thank you for your reply.

SQL Backup does not support a Linux OS, it only supports Windows.

Certainly in the short to medium term there are no plans for SQL Backup to support the Linux OS.  Whilst I am aware of rumors for the comparison tools (for example, SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare) to support a connection to a SQL Server that runs on the Linux OS.  SQL Backup requires the creation of a Windows service to operate and I am unsure if Redgate will ever create a Linux version of the tool.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com