Unique Composite Index

I have two questions. 

First, is there a log somewhere I can use to specifically identify what sort of "invalid data" caused a load to fail?  I only see unique indexes that might be invalidating my data but it would be helpful to know specifically what was invalid.

Second, how does one ensure that uniqueness of a composite index is maintained?  In other words, how can I guarantee that a data row has a unique combination of col1, col2, col3...colN?

Thanks.

Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi BruceP

Thank you for your forum post.

To create a verbose log file select Help menu on the toolbar ->Minimum logging level ->Increase the minimum logging level to verbose (note the 'Locate log files' and 'Open current log file' options).  Repeat the data generation, when any error occurs, locate the log file or open the log file and review.  If you need any help understanding the log file or the error you are experiencing, please contact the Redgate Support Team.

In regards, to composite indexes.  There is a known bug (Bug reference SDG-921) using SQL Data Generator and composite indexes / constraints, in that in the data generation duplicate values are generated and the data generation fails as the database does not allow the duplicate.  At this time there is not a bug fix available for this problem.

Many Thanks
    Eddie 
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie!
    Seems that the bug SDG-921 is not resolved yet.
    It is a core feature and therefore it is not possible to use Data Generator.
    Is there any plan to fix the issue?
    Thanks!
    Torsten FoRG and MVP