HTML Report

I have to say, I do not like the new html report in compare 13 at all. It shows lines as changed that are not even changes. Nor does it highlight the individual part of the line that was changed. This report actually makes me not want to upgrade as we use these reports heavily. We recently changed one part of a datatype on a column, and every single column in the table showed up in the report as changes.

Is there a way that I can generate the old interactive report? I am not suggesting change back, but give us the option to use one or the other. I understand this change was bringing this report more in line with the other red-gate products, but this feels like more of a downgrade on this feature.
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Tim,

Sorry that you're not keen on the new report style. We've heard this feedback from some other users as well so we've reinstated the old interactive html report as the Classic HTML report in version 13.3.7.6422, which we have just released on the frequent updates channel.

I hope this helps.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Tim_CartwrightTim_Cartwright Posts: 8 New member
    I appreciate you guys adding that back. 

So, I have more info for you. I went back and re-ran the reports to try to produce example reports for you. When I did I discovered odd behavior with the new reports. When run comparing db->db v13 produced reasonable reports. However, when using scripts->db this is when the behavior I reported before showed up with the entire table showing as a change. I have attached a report from both version 12 and version 13 showing the behavior mentioned for the same table. 

Even if this were to get fixed I would still prefer v12 reports as they highlight the part of the line that has altered, not just the entire line. Which forces me to start at the two lines trying to determine what changed.

Also, as a side note I happened to notice the huge file size increase from 12 to 13. :(
  • I think I can see what is happening here. The data types in the before state are in lower case and in the after state are in upper case. I've checked and this is a bug with the newer report type so I'll log it in our internal bug tracking system.

Thanks for the feedback on the file size as well. I'll make sure it gets noted.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Tim_CartwrightTim_Cartwright Posts: 8 New member
    Investigated the massive size increase of the reports. Looks like you guys decided to embed the shortcut icon and quite a few fonts directly into the reports. I would gladly do without those, or prefer them to be linked off a cdn to go back to a smaller file size. Every build we do includes two reports and the build folder gets archived on one of our servers. These reports could bloat that folder very quickly.
  • Thanks for the feedback Tim, that's really useful to know. I hope that the return of the old-style report will suffice in the mean time.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • DanW564DanW564 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Rob C said:
    Thanks for the feedback Tim, that's really useful to know. I hope that the return of the old-style report will suffice in the mean time.
    Once SC-10194 has been taken care of, I think it will suffice nicely for the purpose that I am working on, which is very similar to what Tim_Cartright described above. Thank you for bringing that back!
    FWIW, I found a way to fix my broken HTML file. See https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/comment/153003#Comment_153003