High CPU Alert Question

mikewhaleymikewhaley Posts: 12
edited April 21, 2009 10:59AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
The high CPU alert seems to be working well. However it doesn't capture much information when it happens. Could you capture the running SQL statements? Or when you show the processes running show the CPU rates for those processes rather than just the CPU time used?

Your product tells me when a system has a resource issue but doesn't capture the relavant information? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into forum.

By default the CPU utilization unusual alert when generated will report on the system processes running at that time and generate a graph of the CPU Usage / Memory usage.

Also provide information for how long the unusual behaviour was observed for, peak CPU usage, minimum CPU usage and average CPU usage for the time the alert was generated.

If this alert occurs regualrly or often and you wish to see details of the SQL processes running at that time. You can enable the collection trace data. This feature when enabled will continuously collect SQL Profiler trace data on the selected SQL Servers you are monitoring.

In the Trace column of the Servers to show area in the Filter pane, SQL Servers that are collecting trace data are labelled Yes.

To turn on the collection of SQL Profiler trace data for a SQL Server:

1. Right-click on the SQL Server in the Servers to show area of the Filter pane, and click Server properties. 2. In the SQL Server Properties dialog box, select Enable collection of trace data.
    Alerts that are raised on that SQL Server from this point on will include trace data in the Performance snapshot section of the alert details pane.

I hope the above helps.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,

I have enabled the collection of trace data, but are not getting any information regarding SQL processes running at the time.

I am getting trace info for the other alerts, e.g. Long Running Query.

Thanks,
    Anna-Marí
  • I'm having the same issue. Tracing is enabled but no trace data appears when the high CPU utilisation warning is captured.

I have just upgraded to v1.2 and re-installed the agent. I was wondering if perhaps the agent service needs to be bounced after the tracing is enabled ?
  • Hi,
    It is a known issue that trace data is not provided for high cpu utilisation, this information has been added to an issue (ssr-1222)

Thank you for your feedback this should be addressed in future releases.

Best Wishes
    Emma