Azure DB secure through Azure Active Directory

PatrickSPatrickS Posts: 3 New member
According to the release notes, SQL Search added support for Azure SQL DB's in version 2.2.

However, we're using SSMS 2017, SQL Search v2.4.4.1453 and connecting to an Azure SQL Database. In SQL Search, the list of object types as well as the list of database names is disabled and blank. If I look in the log files I see:

30 Aug 2017 12:08:27.717 [1] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler - Failed to get the object hierarchy
Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
30 Aug 2017 12:08:27.850 [1] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler - Failed to get the object hierarchy
30 Aug 2017 12:08:27.874 [66] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler - Exception while indexing Jobs on XXXXXX.database.windows.net:
Exception: Cannot open server "somedomain.com" requested by the login. The login failed.
30 Aug 2017 12:08:28.236 [1] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler - Failed to get the object hierarchy
30 Aug 2017 12:08:28.413 [1] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler - Failed to get the object hierarchy
30 Aug 2017 12:08:28.450 [60] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler - Exception while indexing Jobs on XXXXXX.database.windows.net:
Exception: Cannot open server "somedomain.com" requested by the login. The login failed.

I'm already connected to the database and can do anything I want (queries, sprocs, inserts, adds, deletes, etc...) so I don't know where the "login failed" is coming from.

Is this scenario (Azure SQL DB secured through Azure Active Directory) supported?
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Patrick,

Sorry, this isn't supported. We have an outstanding feature request for this on our system and I've added a note to it to say that you would like to see this implemented.

Apologies.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • PatrickSPatrickS Posts: 3 New member
    Thanks Rob. Would this issue (Azure SQL DB secured through Azure Active Directory) also cause problems for SQL Source Control? We're seeing problems with that as well (and if you'd like me to post a message on the SQL Source Control forum, let me know).
  • @PatrickS I'm fairly sure that it's not supported in SQL Source Control either, although its developers will have a better idea than me. I'd definitely recommend posting in their forum or submitting a support ticket.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • PUBANDPUBAND Posts: 1 New member
    @Rob C I'd like to second that request for implementing Azure AD security support.  We are migrating to AAD away from SQL Logins for better controls, but this will hamper developers who use this tool.
  • jwkdibjwkdib Posts: 1 New member
    @Rob C Any update on the feature request for Azure AD auth to Azure SQL Database?  We would love to see this supported.
  • @jwkdib Unfortunately I don't have an update, apologies.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Hi all,

The latest SQL Search version (v 3.2.2) released today should now support Azure AD authentication. 
  • AndriyAndriy Posts: 1 New member
    I am still getting same error with SQL Search 3.2.3.2230 and Azure SQL Managed Instance.
    Note that exception referring to a wrong server "mydomain.com" which is part of login "user@mydomain.com" but server selector within SQL Search shows proper "XXXX.XXXX.database.windows.net"

10 Mar 2019 13:42:34.502 [14] ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.Tab.DatabaseConnector - Could not load database list
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open server "mydomain.com" requested by the login.  The login failed.

• Matt_TMatt_T Posts: 1 New member
    edited August 3, 2019 1:28AM
    Are there any updates on this? I'm on SQL Search version 3.2.7.2379 and have the same issue.
    I am connecting from SSMS (version: 14.0.17289.0) via Active Directory - Universal with MFA support to an Azure Managed Instance.

Edition: SQL Azure
    VersionName: Microsoft SQL Azure (RTM) - 12.0.2000.8
    ProductVersion: 12.0.2000.8
    MayorVersion: 12
    ProductLevel: CTP2.4
    EngineEdition: 8
    VersionDate: May 29 2019 23:24:58

These are the errors I'm seeing in the SQLSearchAddin Log:
    ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.Tab.DatabaseConnector - Could not load database list
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open server "database.windows.net" requested by the login.  The login failed.
    and..
    ERROR RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler - Failed to get the object hierarchy