Options

New feature: My projects

Andrew FAndrew F Posts: 21
edited March 13, 2017 7:08AM in SQL Data Compare
In response to a lot of feedback we have received since the release of SQL Data Compare 12, we have brought back the familiar 'open project' dialog from SQL Data Compare 11:

OpenDialogSmall.png

The new dialog allows you to view the details of the source and target for each project as well as when it was last modified. The list of projects can be filtered using the search box in the top-right corner.

The new dialog is accessible from the File menu under My projects and, by checking the box at the bottom of the dialog, it can also be made to appear when the application starts up.

Upgrade via Frequent Updates to SQL Data Compare V12.0.40 to try out this new feature.

We hope this makes it easier to find and organise projects. We would like to hear your feedback on this feature.

Comments

• Options
    tslagtertslagter Posts: 19 Bronze 2
    Thank you so much for adding this back.

A couple of relatively small problems:
    1) The column sizes don't match my data. There is a lot of wasted space around the Data source names, and the Date modified and File name values are cut off and wrapped, respectively.
    2) The window doesn't remember column spacing and sizing, so even if I manually correct for (1), the next time I open it everything is squished again.
    3) Personally, I'd prefer to the dates to be formatted as numbers, rather than spelled out.

These are minor issues, though - just happy to have this item back. Thank you!
  • Options
    Thanks for bringing that back. I was so afraid that you will not do this and this is one of my favourite features! Now, the only thing that you have to do is to implement @tslagter ideas and everything will be perfect! :)
  • Options
    We've released a version that should remember the column widths - does this feature behave as you expected?
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    tslagtertslagter Posts: 19 Bronze 2
    Thank you. The new update is saving the column widths. It would still be helpful if the overall window size was also remembered, but this helps quite a bit.

I'm confused by the design decision to not include column dividers, at least in the headers. It took me a while to figure out how to adjust the Data Source column widths; I basically had to move the cursor around the header until it changed into the double-arrow icon. Even now, knowing that the dividers are there and roughly where they are, I have to move the cursor back and forth to find the right location since it's a narrow target.

And it would be great to have the option to open the project browser from the toolbar.

Thanks for these updates. I think I'm finally comfortable uninstalling v11.
  • Options
    We've released 12.2.2.4140 which will remember the sort order in the My Projects dialog. Does this behave as you expected?
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software