Options

SourceAnywhere and SQL Source Control

DSAUserDSAUser Posts: 2
edited November 12, 2016 2:18AM in SQL Source Control
I work for a small development team who've been looking into having some sort of source control for our DBs. Unfortunately, we're using Dynamsoft's SourceAnywhere for code source control which is not immediately compatible with SSC. Luckily, SSC allows config files for special cases and Dynamsoft has provided some support in making the two compatible, available here: How to integrate SourceAnywhere 6.x with Red Gate's SSMS?. I have a major gripe with how they've done this, however, as it requires putting your source control username and password in plain text in the config file (which SCC's template specifically says NOT TO DO). Our company does have to follow some strict security standards, so this simply won't fly. Is there anyway to get SSC to prompt the user for their username and password and have it combine that with the config file (where it injects the username & password into the config file's command line arguments)? I'm also looking at this issue from the SourceAnywhere angle, as it seems that the program used to receive the command has its source code bundled with it; considering it's not a very large program, it may be possible to solve the problem from there as well. If anyone could provide help or advice (aside from switching to TFS or Git, which I'd like but is currently impossible), I'd love to hear it.

Comments

• Options
    Hey DSAUser,

Thanks for contacting us!
    Setting up the command line hooks with all of your information is the only real way to use non-native version control systems with SQL Source Control.
    If you would like native support to be added, I recommend that you post your idea to our UserVoice forum available here https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39 ... ce-control

I have followed up with you via email in case you have any other questions or issues!
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software