================================

Backing up source database - Successful

This operation completed successfully.

Backing up HCN (full database) on HCNSYSTEM instance to:
D:\Backup\HCN\SEED_HCN_20081105134907.sqb
Database size : 450.625 MB
Compressed data size: 143.883 MB
Compression rate : 68.07%
Processed 56496 pages for database 'HCN', file 'HCN' on file 1.
Processed 1 pages for database 'HCN', file 'HCN_log' on file 1.
BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 56497 pages in 15.905 seconds (29.098 MB/sec).
SQL Backup process ended.

Restoring database to destination server - Failed

This operation failed with errors.

Restoring HCN (database) on HCNSYSTEM instance from:
\\stkdc2\Logshipping$\hcn\SEED_HCN_20081105134907.sqb
VDI error 1010: Failed to get the configuration from the server because the timeout interval has elapsed. Check that the SQL Server instance is running and that you have the SQL Server System Administrator server role; or try increasing the value of the
VDITimeout registry setting in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\[InstanceName]
Also check that the database is not currently in use.
SQL error 3013: RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
SQL error 3101: Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use.
SQL Backup exit code: 1010
SQL error code: 3101

Creating backup job - Pending

Operation pending.

Create restore job - Pending

Operation pending.

Refresh server information - Pending

Operation pending.

I normally receive this following error when trying creating Logshipping between two servers. Sometime I am lucky and successfully creating Logshipping however after half of the day running fine, then I have the following error message above. This is the test server so I am pretty sure there is no user log in except me. And the job is running under sysadmin user.

The thing I would mention in here is sometimes restore database by either using full backup or log backup is fine, sometime is not. I changed to another set of servers and got the same issue.

Hope you guys can provide some more information

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL error 3013: RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    SQL error 3101: Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use.
    These 2 errors are reported by SQL Server, and indicates that there are one or more users logged on to the database. You're probably restoring the database in read-only mode. If so, you'll need to add a script to remove all connections before attempting to restore the transaction logs e.g.
    ALTER DATABASE HCN SET OFFLINE WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
    ALTER DATABASE HCN SET ONLINE

Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi petey
    That's mean everytime if I want to restore transaction log, I have to run this script in the destination server or I just have to run only one time?
    The purpose of the script is to disconnect all existing users from the database. Given that you do not know when users will be connected (or forgot to disconnect), you'll need to run the script everytime before the log restore runs.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Thanks Petey for your excellent support, I am so happy with the product and will roll out into our system. Just one more dummy question. Once i setup log shipping successfully, Will I just let it goes like this. Do I have to let say, rerun full backup/restore each month and run log shipping after that? I mean is there any maintenance I need to take care?
    You shouldn't need to rerun a full backup just for the purpose of log shipping, unless you encounter some error that invalidates your secondary database (I would suggest performing a full backup for disaster recovery purposes, though, the frequency of which should be dictated by your recovery and availability requirements).

One thing you should occasionally check on is if there is adequate space to store the log files, especially in the 'processed' folder, as the contents would constantly be added to. You could use the ERASEFILES option to maintain the number of files stored in that folder.

Aside from the above, it's the usual stuff like monitoring and responding to backup/restore errors on the primary and secondary servers.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software