SQL Response - effect on SQL boxes being monitored

GaryCGaryC Posts: 7
edited November 12, 2008 11:17AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hi,

I have been trying SQL response and it noted unusually high cpu utilisation.

I ran a SQL profiler session and 90% of the SQL traffic was coming from SQL response, i am presuming it was gathering its information. This was causing the high cpu load.

I know this is an old dog of a server but i would like to run sql response against it so i dont have to actively monitor it. The question is, can i reduce the frequency that it checks the server, to lessen the traffic??

Or can i turn of say recommendations, and just stick to alerts??

Cheers,

Gary.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post.

Sorry to hear about the issues you are seeing.

A support call has been raised for you and the call reference is F0016691

Could you email the log files for you Alert Repository ( C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Response 1 or C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Response Alert Repository 1 ) to support {at} red-gate.com with your call reference in the Subject Field.
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi,

I have sent the logs as requested.

Cheers,

Gary.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for sending to us the requested information.

Looking through the log files, it appears that your server, is not returning any performance counters.

Can you please run the following query:

SELECT COUNT (*) FROM sys.dm_os_performance_counters

If it returns 0, then sql server is not providing any performance counters.
    Restarting the server sometimes fixes this, otherwise see the remarks section of http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 87743.aspx

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi,

Its a 2000 box so I ran
    SELECT COUNT (*) FROM dbo.sysperfinfo

and this returned 0.

Incidentally the server you mentioned in the email isnt the one in question, and the real issue is with server load on the one being monitored.

Does the response about performance counters not being returned mean that SQL Response queries the server more often if performance counters are not being returned??

Any suggestions on reducing load on the server being monitored would be appreciated, perhaps a 'light monitoring' mode to just give basic information, i.e. not including recommendations, etc.?

Cheers,

Gary.
  • Hi Gary,

What is the host name of the SQL Server you are having performance issues with?

What is the specification of the machine?
    Which version of windows and SQL Server?
    Are you using the trace feature of SQL Response?
    What sort of CPU utilisation are you seeing one the server when response is enabled and when it is disabled?

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel