SQL Release in Octopus deploy not deploying static data

stevebrand34stevebrand34 Posts: 2
edited August 1, 2016 10:52AM in DLM Automation
Hi,

I am trying to set up an automated sql release from sql source control -> team city (to build nuget package) -> Octopus (to deploy the package)

the sql source control and team city portions work as expected going from commit and push to building a nuget package which does include the repo's "Data" folder
The problem seems to lie with the Octopus release process. I setup the templates for the octopus process items as per the documentation and the nuget package is correctly downloaded from the teamcity feed.

Then comes the creation of the release step in my Octopus process, where the static data is NOT deployed from the Nuget package, on checking the export path I can see the Source and Target directories inside the "States" folder but they are different in 2 significant ways, firstly the database sub-folder is missing from the Target path (which isn't necessarily an issue) e.g

states/Source/testdb/<redgate sql source control folders>

compared to

states/Target/<redgate source control folders>

and the 2nd major difference is that the "Data" folder is missing from the Target

The initial schema and any schema changes do correctly deploy to the target using this process so I am left scratching my head somewhat.

I'm a bit of a newbie at this so maybe i'm missing something obvious but any help would be a lifesaver

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hey Steve,

Thanks for contacting us and sorry you are having this issue!

Would you be able to send in the full build log from teamcity and octopus deploy?
    You may need to update Teamcity plugin as described here https://documentation.red-gate.com/page ... d=41356594 and your step templates to the latest as described here https://documentation.red-gate.com/page ... d=41356588

Just as a reference - here is some info on Static data in Release https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... on+cmdlets

I will also follow up with you via email to get those logs (more private that way).

Warmly,
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Then comes the creation of the release step in my Octopus process, where the static data is NOT deployed from the Nuget package, on checking the export path I can see the Source and Target directories inside the "States" folder but they are different in 2 significant ways, firstly the database sub-folder is missing from the Target path (which isn't necessarily an issue) e.g

states/Source/testdb/<redgate sql source control folders>

compared to

states/Target/<redgate source control folders>

Hi Steve,

I think the problem may be that when you're building the NuGet package, you are currently pointing at testdb when you need to be pointing at the subdirectory that contains all of the data from SQL Source Control. In the TeamCity plugin, in the Source-controlled database section, you need to choose "Database folder is a subfolder of my build VCS root" and then enter testdb in the textbox provided.

Does that help?
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software