Options

Connection Error

ken.powersken.powers Posts: 2 New member
edited May 12, 2016 4:02PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hello all,

I have installed SQL Monitor in a high-security environment and I'm having connection issues.

This is what I see in the log:
Event: OpenNamespace:rootcimv2
Outcome: Cannot Connect
Exception: COMException
Exception Message: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

Is there anything I need to check in Component Services? The machine I installed this on is running the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with SP1.

Comments

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi Ken,

This documentation includes the firewall ports that are needed by SQL Monitor to perform the data collections. You can test the data collections outside of SQL Monitor by following this documentation. WMI can be somewhat troublesome in these instances since it uses not only port 135, but also (via DCOM) uses a dynamic random port between 1024-65535. There are ways to restrict this range or make it use a static port (there are links to this in the first documentation page above).

There are a wide range of things (firewalls and their settings, services on or off, permissions etc) so we are unable to provide specifics, but that error message generally indicates the firewall is blocking WMI from getting there or that you need to start the service (check both the SQL Monitor machine and the remote machine).

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?