MOVETO error - file exists

cameron.gibbscameron.gibbs Posts: 18
edited October 27, 2008 11:04PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have a problem with the log shipping - it seems to work most of the time but we often have the situation where a log is restored and then coped to the processed log file location but not deleted from the log ship location....

Warning 130: MOVETO error: Failed to move file: \\SCRATCHY\LogShip\LOG_XXXXXX_20081024124503.sqb (The file exists.)

...hence the next time the log restore job runs it fails because the file it tries to move already exists and then the LSN's are out of sync

Can anyone explain why this happens and what I can do about it ? I t seems to happen far too often for me to be comfortable using this product in a production environment.

Thanks

Cameron

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Were there any warnings recorded in the previous log, regarding failure to move the files? As you pointed out, it's obviously the deletion process that failed. The previous log file should record the reason for the deletion failure.

The most common cause of that would be that the file was in use, perhaps by a virus scanner or something similar, that wants to scan the file after it has been 'touched' by SQL Backup.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8