Remove instances?

PaulyWPaulyW Posts: 7
Hi,

Unless I'm missing a trick I don't seem to be able to remove an instance of a SQL Server to be monitored. I appreciate I can suspend monitoring but I'm still getting 'instance unavailable' alerts for those instances I've suspended and I'd rather not see anything for them.

Can I do this in the current (5.0.9) version or could this be considered for inclusion in a later version?

P

Comments

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi Pauly,

Nope, you're not missing anything :)

As of v5 you cannot remove nodes of a cluster or SQL Instances themselves - they need to be suspended as you have been doing. This, as you have seen, has brought to light an issue that existed previously where the alerts were being displayed for suspended entities - this is now being looked into with internal reference SRP-10363. As a temporary workaround - you can resume monitoring on the suspended entity, go to the Configuration > Alert settings page and disable the alerts that you are receiving at the level of the suspended entity (i.e. you have a SQL Instance A, drill down in the alert hierarchy to instance A and disable the alert at that level) and then go back and suspend the monitoring of that entity once again. We need to resume monitoring because the suspended entities no longer show up in the UI aside from on the Configuration > Monitored servers page.

A fix for this issue is currently being investigated and I will update with any further information when I receive it!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Awesome :)

Just installed 5.0.10 which has addressed this issue, thanks!
    Hi Pauly,

You beat me to sending the link out. Glad it's all working for you!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• matthansonmatthanson Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    So, if I'm understanding things correctly, an instance that has been removed on the SQL server will remain in the monitored servers indefinitely? There's no way to remove it?
    Hi matthanson,

If a SQL Instance has been removed from the Monitored Server then SQL Monitor should remove it from the Configuration > Monitored servers page. If it does not you can remove and re-add the Monitored Server (being sure NOT to delete the historical data) and it should not auto-discover the removed SQL Instance. If it does there may be a registry entry leftover on the Monitored Server in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server with the instance name that you may need to remove.

Beyond that, the entity will remain in the Overview pages as long as there is historical data still in the data repository.

In the original post they had not deleted the instances on the Monitored Server - they just did not want an existing SQL Instance to be monitored. In that case the only option is to Suspend them. The issue SRP-10363 mentioned has been resolved as of v5.0.10, so suspended entities should no longer trigger alerts.

I hope this helps clarify!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• matthansonmatthanson Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Fantastic, thanks Alex.
    Hi matthanson,

Glad to help :-)

Kind regards,
    Alex