Compatibility Level

mmelgaresmmelgares Posts: 5 Bronze 2
edited March 4, 2016 5:09AM in DLM Dashboard
Hello,

I was looking to change the way my predecessor installed DLM dashboard from using the machine account as a sysadmin to using a service account with the correct permissions.

Following the create login script found on that page has worked well for most of the databases on the servers, however for some of the databases I'm received a connection error that simply says "Can't connect to database".

I made sure that the service account has VIEW ANY DEFINITION rights on the server, and SELECT ON sys.sql_expression_dependencies on the database.

It appears, after some testing, that the issue has something to do with the compatibility level on the affected databases. The databases that COULD connect were at level 100, the ones that COULD NOT connect were at level 90. However, ALL databases can connect successfully if the service account is set to sysadmin.

Could somebody clarify what the rules are here? It would be nice if Red Gate could also update the documentation and/or add better messaging to the UI. ("Can't connect to the database" is misleading when I can see from a SQL Trace that it is definitely talking to the database)

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi,

Thanks for the post. I've tried connecting to a database with compatibility level 90 with the minimum permissions and you are correct, there does appear to be a problem. I'll speak to the development team and I'll let you know when I have any new information.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • I have the same problem, looking forward for your response, Robert Clenshaw!
    Billy Joel promoting his tour across the US in 2016. Find the best concert ticket prices and seats on billyjoeltourdates.com.
  • I've spoken to the developers and it seems that this is a known bug, with reference SQLLH-695. In order to get DLM Dashboard to connect, you need to either grant view server state to the user or change the compatibility level to 100.

I'll let you know when I hear about a bugfix.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • The version of DLM Dashboard that has just been released, 1.6.8, contains a fix for this issue. Here's a download link if you need it. Could you let me know if that solves the problem for you?

Thanks.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software