Suggested features for futures versions

crimdoncrimdon Posts: 54 Bronze 3
edited August 16, 2016 9:34AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I've using SQL Monitor for about 5 months now and after comparing it to other products on the market, I have a few suggestions.

1. Ability to view a execution plan within the product rather than having to go to SSMS.
2. A more graphical representation of a deadlock (something similar to SSMS).
3. Ability to display current locks and blocks.
4. Ability to show current active spids.

Anyway, just a few ideas.

Regards

Andrew Lackenby

Comments

• Hi crimdon,

Thanks for all of the suggestsion! I had a look and did not see these on the uservoice, but please have a look yourself and if they do exist vote on them; if not create your suggestions for others to vote on. I'll also reply to each below:

1. There is an enhancement request with internal reference SRP-2118 related to this.

2. There is an enhancement request with internal reference SRP-9386 related to this.

3. I think current blocks would be active Blocked Process alerts.

4. In the overview page you can see a list of the top 10 processes active on the host SYSTEM PROCESSES (TOP 10) and the top queries per instance and per database (though no SPID for the process doing them). If you have a Long running query alert it will have the Process ID (which only means something if it's still active I know).

Thanks again and if you have any more or any questions please let us know!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Here's my list of suggested features:

1. Ability to create a "friendly name" for a monitored server. Rather than having to only use a DNS name or IP Address.

2. Ability to choose the server/instance when configuring an Alert. This would include the ability to create multiple Alerts of the same type. Not all servers/instances need or require the same thresholds.
    I realize this can be configured after an Alert has been triggered under Actions, then Configure, but that is a tedious process.

3. Ability to add PerfMon Counters to a Custom Alert.

4. Report detailing all the Alerts which have been custom configured in the Alert Inbox via Actions, then Configure.

Thanks.

Tim Knoob
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi Tim,

Please do use the uservoice forum to make suggestions or vote on others suggestions. I have found some already and linked them below along with guidance for bits that I think may already exist.

1. Add an option to alias the server names.

2. I'm not quite sure what you mean, but you can already configure the alerts at the All Servers, Group, Server, Instance and Database levels of the hierarchy by going to Configuration > Alert settings and then clicking on the appropriate hierarchy level in the tree at the left. See the documentation here.

3. I think you may be able to do this already - you should be able to create a custom metric that queries sys.dm_os_performance_counters and create a custom alert for this as well. Again perhaps I'm misunderstanding, if so please let me know.

4. If you go to the Configuration > Alert settings page it will bold the hierarchy level and have a number in parenthesis next to the item (i.e. SQLInstanceName (1) for one alert with custom settings at this level, which will be bold in the list at the right as well).

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Regarding the first suggested feature, the latest release of SQL Monitor (5.2.7) has a beta of the v6.0 release which now includes the ability to view the query execution plan for top queries in the Server overview.
    https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... ease+notes
  • For number 3 above, I think you can only use the Custom Metrics to pull back Perfmon counters that are exposed to SQL.
    You can't pull back all perfmon counters that the server uses.
    As an example, I'd love to be able to pull back the VMware Processor and Memory metrics as these tell me what the server is actually using without having to pull up the vSphere Client which I don't have access to in a lot of places.
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi Wullsy,

Ah yes, it looks like you are correct - they are only SQL Server related performance counters so at this point there is no current way to add other perfmon counters aside from these. I would go to the Uservoice forum and see if there is an existing suggestion for this or add your own suggestion for others to vote on if there is not already.

Kind regards,
    Alex