TFS Git support

jaspernygaardjaspernygaard Posts: 38 Bronze 1
edited August 10, 2016 2:23PM in Source Control for Oracle
Trying to create a database project, connecting to a git repository in TFS2013. I'm using the http git url, provided by TFS, which work fine with git cli. However, when I enter my credentials, I get a authentication failed error. Is TFS Git repositories not supported?
Tagged:

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your forum post and sorry that you have encountered a problem.

This configuration of using TFS Git repositories has never been tested and hence not yet officially supported.

Is the repository folder you are attempting to connect to a new empty or bare folder? I ask this question, as Source Control for Oracle will not connect to an existing repository that already contains existing files and folders.

So I can get a support ticket created for you. Would you please generate a screen shot of the error when you attempt to connect to the TFS2013 Git repository?

Also locate the Source Control for Oracle log files for the sessions that you attempted to connect the TFS2013 Git repository? You will find the Source Control for Oracle log files in this folder:
    C:Users<user name>AppDataLocalRed gateLogsSource Control for Oracle 3
    Please send an email to <support@red-gate.com> with requested screen shot and Source Control for Oracle log files attached. Once we receive the email, a support ticket will be created and you will receive notification that we have logged a new ticket along with a ticket or call reference number.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • I've replies with the following:

Hi Eddie

In regards to whether I’m connecting to a bare or new empty folder, I’m not sure that to answer. I’ll try and list what I’ve tried
    • Connecting to a local bare git repostiory works.
    • Connecting to a local new git repository fails (with “Git directory must be an existing bare repository….”)
    • Connecting to a remote TFS git repository fails
    • Connecting to a remote GitHub repository works.

The following is a screen shot, when connecting to a remote TFS repository.

<removed>

The only error message in the log, relating to til screenshot is:

“09:17:09.028|Info |g.PersistenceFactory|22 |Creating new ApprovedHttpsCertificatesStore, no file at C:UsersxxxAppDataLocalRed GateSource Control for Oracle 3ApprovedHttpsCertificates.xml”
  • double post.
    Hi,

I have bad news, we appear to have a bug in a our product. Source Control for Oracle uses two third-party Git connection libraries, one is called 'LibGit2Sharp' and the other is called 'ngit'. It appears that you cannot clone from something requiring NLTM authentication via Git. Which causes the problem you are experiencing.

Whilst we can find a workaround for the 'LibGit2Sharp' library, sadly there is not a workaround for the 'ngit' library. Hence at this time, we cannot support connecting to Git repository using TFS 2013 as this makes use of NTLM authentication.

Likewise the sister product for Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Source Control does not support using Git inside TFS, as they both share usage of the 'LibGit2Sharp' and 'ngit' libraries.

I have submitted a Bug Report whose reference is OSC-606. I have no ETA as to when this bug will be fixed.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Hi

Any update when Git within TFS is supported - Either TFS2013 og TFS2015?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Sadly I still have no ETA as to when Source Control for Oracle will support Git from within TFS. Sorry!!

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Any updates regarding this. Is this feature in your backlog?
  • Any updates on this? You guys should really call this out in your documentation, it's ridiculous that people have to stumble across this in some random forum post.
  • Is there any update on when this will be available? Or at least when it will be documented that it doesn't work in your product documentation.
  • AmitBenAmiAmitBenAmi Posts: 4 New member
    Hi,
    Is there any update regarding this problem?
    Hi AmitBenAmi

You are referring to a post from two years ago.  This problem was resolved in June 2017 when V3.0.12 was released..  Please ensure that you are using Source Control for Oracle V3.0.12 or later and the check box 'Use git repository on TFS server' is checked on the Git tab on Step 2 of 5 when creating a project.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
    edited April 17, 2018 8:40AM
    Hi Eddie D

I'm using Source Control for Orale V4.0.6 and it still isn't working.
    After some digging through the IIS logs of my TFS server, I found out that the reason I'm getting a 401 response code is caused by the libgit2 3rd party library.

After searching in the Source Control for Oracle folder, I've noticed that the LibGit2Sharp.dll isn't found, but instead there is a LibGit2Sharp-RedGate.dll.
    More about the IIS Logs, I found that the version of the libgit2 is 0.21.0, so I found at the Source Control for Oracle folder, a folder of x64 (Also at x86) and found out that there is a .dll named git2-91fa31f.dll with version 0.21.0 (Like in the logs).

Is it possible that this .dll not supporting TFS NTLM option?

I've tried to put LibGit2Sharp.dll from my Visual Studio 2017 folder but it didn't do anything...

Thanks,
    Amit
    Hi Amit

What Windows OS are you using?

If you are using the Windows 7 OS, would it be possible for you to check to see if the following keys are present and modify their values.  If the keys are not present, please create new registry keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client]Key name = DisableByDefault , type = dword, default value = 00000000 which is disabled. Please enable the key by modifying the data value so it equals 00000001orIf the key does not exist, create the dword type  DisableByDefault key and give a value of 00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client]Key name = DisableByDefault , type = dword, default value = 00000000 which is disabled. Please enable the key by modifying the data value so it equals 00000001orIf the key does not exist, create the dword type DisableByDefault key and give a value of 00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp]I suspect that this key will not be present, please create a new key as follows:Key name = DefaultSecureProtocols , type = dword, default value = 0000a00. 
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp]I suspect that this key will not be present, please create a new key as follows:Key name = DefaultSecureProtocols , type = dword, default value = 0000a00

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Hi Eddie,
    I tried those values in the registry and didn't come up with anything different.
    SOCO 4 still prompts me for user/password (although we checked the check-box for NTLM use) and the TFS server is using NTLM.

Could it be something else?

Thanks,
    Amit
  • NorbertNorbert Posts: 1 New member

Hi Eddie,

are there any news? I'm using Windows 10 and followed the instruction above; however, I still have the authentication error when connecting to GIT/TFS.

Thanks,

Norbert

• AkhilKAkhilK Posts: 3 New member
    Hi Eddie
    I am trying to create a new project in Source Control for Oracle v4 and i am getting an error while adding a git repository in Step 2 of 5. showing Authentication failure.
  • AkhilKAkhilK Posts: 3 New member
    Hi Eddie
    I am trying to create a new project in Source Control for Oracle v4 and i am getting an error while adding a git repository in Step 2 of 5. showing Authentication failure.