Compare a few views in a large database

aspillertaspillert Posts: 20
edited October 9, 2015 1:32PM in SQL Compare 11
I support an application package that has 6700 data tables and 2600 views, and several thousand stored procedures. We have added 125 custom views for reporting, all prefaced with "v_" such as "v_Department". None of the other views or tables use this prefix. I would like to compare the view code for just my views without comparing the other 10,000+ objects in the database.

Can this be done?
AlanCHB

Comments

• Yep, this sounds like a case for Compare's filters: https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... ng+filters
  • A filter worked, but more painfully then it might have. I saw "Filter" in the upper right corner of the screen, and it did not work. Eventually I saw "Filter:" in the upper left, and was able to set up a filter. I chose to "include if begins with v_" and the filter included my views and many unwanted others beginning with "view__". Filters must ignore the underscore character (arthropod). The SQL code in the views was difficult to read because some had been formatted by the developer using SQL Prompt, and some had been created by the query designer and never formatted. At least I now have a list.

This would have been easier if the documentation had a few images and focused initially on the mechanics of adding and setting up filters rather than the capabilities of a filter.
    Another very nice feature for a future version would add SQL Prompt formatting to code displayed by SQL Compare.

Thank you for your help.
    AlanCHB