Add new servers

gbrittongbritton Posts: 17 Bronze 1
edited August 27, 2015 11:45AM in SQL Data Compare 11
When I launch SQL Data Compare, I cannot see all the servers I want to compare. How do I add a new server to the list presented?

Comments

• When Data Compare launches, it tries to find servers on the local network to fill in the list. However, you can just type in the address of any new servers that you want to use, and Data Compare should remember them for next time :)
  • gbrittongbritton Posts: 17 Bronze 1
    Thanks! That worked.

Next issue: two servers that I want to compare are in different domains and the domains don't trust each other. I use different IDs for each domain to login to the servers. How can I set up the project so that I can compare these two servers? Assuming one of the servers is in the same domain I run the project from, I would need a place to put in the Windows credentials for the other domain and SQL Data Compare would need to use those credentials for that connection?

Can that be done?

Also, can I specify a linked server as the Compare To server?
  • Unfortunately "Windows authentication" currently only supports the user that you're running the program as - we've had a pending feature request for windows auth impersonation for a while. It looks like it would be possible to run as a different user for the whole program (something like http://codebetter.com/jameskovacs/2009/ ... -computer/ ) but that doesn't really help if you want to compare across two different domains :(

I think for a linked server you would just have to specify the server/instance name directly
  • gbrittongbritton Posts: 17 Bronze 1
    Unfortunately "Windows authentication" currently only supports the user that you're running the program as - we've had a pending feature request for windows auth impersonation for a while. It looks like it would be possible to run as a different user for the whole program (something like http://codebetter.com/jameskovacs/2009/ ... -computer/ ) but that doesn't really help if you want to compare across two different domains :(

I think for a linked server you would just have to specify the server/instance name directly

So if serverainstance1 has a link to serverb:

Compare: serverainstance1 to: serverainstance1.serverb

Where serverb is the name of the linked server?