Error - Cannot Connect Not enough resources?

rayherringrayherring Posts: 30 Bronze 4
edited July 7, 2015 3:24AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I have one Dev server (3 instances) that the monitor is not able to connect to. Everything was fine until yesterday. We applied Windows Updates (Windows 20088R2 SP1).
When the server rebooted we had an issue with the disk system and had to reconfigure a bit and reboot. The server is fine now but Monitor still won't re-connect. This is the error message.

Not enough resources are available to complete this operation. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706B9)

So does this mean resources on the base monitor, the target server or something else? How do I determine what resource?
Ray Herring

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your Forum Post.

Can you send me the SQL Monitor Base Monitor log files for the period since this problem occurred? This LINK contains the information on obtaining the base Monitor Log files, hopefully the log file will contain entries to help us locate the cause of the problem.

Can you also please run the SQL Monitor test data collection methods, from the Base Monitor machine to the SQL Server you are having problems monitoring? Please use this LINK to obtain information on the test data collection methods.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • rayherringrayherring Posts: 30 Bronze 4
    Hi Eddie,
    Thanks for the guidance.
    I Attached the Log Files to an email and sent them to Red Gate Support as requested.

We had a number of local security issues with the service account (<MyDomain>da_SQLDBATools) but the problems mysteriously cleared up after I asked Net Admin about them :) So the logs will undoubtedly show a number of connection failures this morning. All of the other monitored servers are connected and responding as expected.

I also worked through the connection tests you asked about.
    All of the connection tests except the WMI test worked fine. The WMI test returns the following error dialog:

Number: 0x800706b9
    Facility: Win32
    Description: Not enough resources are available to complete this operation

The target server is Windows 2008R2 Enterprise (64-bit) with 64GB RAM and 3 SQL instances (SQL 2008R2 Std, 64 bit, with SP3).

Based on following your links I concluded that memory might be the issue. I reduced the Max Server Memory for the 3 instances to 32GB, 4GB, and 4GB. Based on Perfmon, Available MBytes is now averaging 25,000 (i.e, 25GB). However, I still receive the WMI error.

FYI,
    This past weekend was monthly database server maintenance and a number of things were updated (H/W and S/W).

The VM Host (Base Monitor and Web Server are on a VM) has upgraded memory.

Database servers applied Windows Updates, installed SQL2008R2 SP3, rebooted, etc.

Thanks.
    Ray Herring
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for confirming the fix to us in the support call. For others who may be experiencing the issue please find a paraphrased version of what Ray found out below.

Kind regards,
    Alex

Hi Alex

I finally resolved this issue. Your advice and information were very helpful. However, while you did nail the correct location of the problem you missed the actual cause and solution, which I found only because of an entirely different problem which just happens to have the same root cause.
    Your first recommendations accurately identified the location - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftRpcInternetPorts - my confusion was that this key did exist on the server that had the monitoring errors but the key did not exist at all on the 3 servers that were being successfully monitored. Then a completely new issue arose on one of our servers with Windows Task Scheduler. Interestingly the Task Scheduler issue occurred on the 3 servers that were successfully monitored but could not be duplicated on the server with the monitoring issue (Windows Task Scheduler Service would not even start successfully on that server).

Here is the incredibly informative error message from the service:
    The description for Event ID 0 from source Schedule cannot be
    found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your
    local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the
    component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display
    information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:
    Schedule error: 0Initialize call failed, bailing out:

Long story short,I found this TechNet post (NB from Alex: The link was not included in the email to us- I found this one and it met the description from Ray) and followed the directions which did the trick. The post begins on a Vista track but about half way down there are a couple of replies related to Win Server 2008.

Thanks for you assistance, effort, and patience on this issue.

Ray
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?