Table Mapping not working

MylesRipMylesRip Posts: 4 New member
edited March 13, 2015 1:53PM in SQL Compare 11
SQL Compare 11 seems to work fine for some of my databases, but for others it doesn't seem to be mapping the tables. I did a comparison between databases that are almost identical, but it doesn't recognize the tables that are identical. Instead, it lists the same tables as existing only in the source database and also existing only in the target database. When I go to the "Table Mapping" tab, I see that none of the tables are mapped, even though the names and structures are identical. I then tried manually mapping the tables, but it ignores my mappings and gives the same results.

Comments

• Hi MylesRip,

Sometimes the SQL Compare project files can end up in an inconsistent state, which can break table mappings. This can often be solved by setting up a new SQL Compare project for your comparison.
    Tom Smith
    Software Engineer
    pBX6I2Z.png
  • MylesRipMylesRip Posts: 4 New member
    Thanks for your reply, Tom. I tried it multiple times from scratch, not from saved project files, always with the same results. I eventually resorted to an older version of the utility (SQL Compare 9) which worked correctly. Because version 11 works correctly consistently for some databases and works incorrectly consistently for other databases on the same servers, I suspect that it's something unique about the databases being compared. I'm using the FileStream capabilities for the databases that cannot be compared with v11, which are SQL Server 2008 R2. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Also, I see in the forum that another user was having an issue with v11 identifying tables as different when they weren't. That user described the problem a bit differently, but I suspect that it's related. That was a couple of months ago and ended up being identified as a bug. (see JIRA # SC-7719)
  • Sorry that it didn't work for you. It would be really useful to get copies of the databases you're comparing so that I can try to reproduce this problem. Could you send snapshots of the two databases to support@red-gate.com, referencing this forum post please?
    Tom Smith
    Software Engineer
    pBX6I2Z.png
  • MylesRipMylesRip Posts: 4 New member
    Not in its current form for several reasons. The database is part of a proprietary system and contains proprietary data. It consists of 72 tables and is almost 40 GB. I would need to make a copy, delete all records from the copy and only send a subset of tables, assuming that the issue still occurs in the pared-down version. This will take some time and is only one of many items currently on my plate. In the meantime, SC9 is working for me so it's not blocking me at the moment. I would like to see the issue resolved in SC11, though, so I'll see what I can do... :-)
  • Sorry for the confusion - in this context 'snapshot' refers to a SQL Compare snapshot file, which is schema-only and should be a lot smaller than 40GB. Support would be able to help you find a minimal reproduction, although I totally understand if you don't have the time to go through that process. I don't think we currently have any way to reproduce the issue over here, but we can keep an eye out and see if something pops up.