Link / unlink Static Data Dialog has no Checkboxes

Nij4t2Nij4t2 Posts: 10
I'm struggling to add new tables to my version control; I have several under source control already so I have managed it ok before.

I have just realised that this is because I can see no checkboxes in the dialog (to the left of the Table column). I do have a column in the dialog, but no checkboxes in it.

I am wondering if this might be related to a recent conversion to 2x 4k monitors and Text Scaling of about 150% on WIndows 8.1... but adjusting text scaling down to 100% has not changed the dialog substantially.

Comments

• Hi,

What resolution are you running? Unfortunately the interface doesn't scale very well with resolution. To help diagnose this, could you try reducing the resolution to see if the checkboxes reappear?

Thanks.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • I am running a full 4k resolution: 3840 x 2160.

Changing one or both monitors down to 1920 x 1080 (and text scaling back to 100% / Normal) still does not improve the situation - but at the moment I have only made the resolution change and reopened SSMS. When I do that it seems something about Text Scaling may still be active as the text is basically larger than the rows in the table in this dialog. (Windows warns when you change text scaling that some settings only get adjusted when you logout)

I will rerun the test after sending this response, but set resolution, log out and back in again, and I will report what I see.
  • Hi Robert,

I have done some more testing and I believe I have proven that the issue is not resolution as such, but the Windows Text Scaling feature (but as the default for text scaling is partly linked and driven by high resolutions perhaps its not such a big difference).

In 1920 x 1080 at 100% Text Scaling (the default) the checkboxes appear.
    At 3840 x 2160 at 100% Text Scaling the checkboxes appear (but Windows secretly ups the Text Scaling when you move to 4k resolution, so you have to set it back manually)
    At 'any' resolution with > 100% text scaling the checkboxes do not appear.

Windows 8.1 does some pretty clever stuff when you have more than one monitor with different resolutions; I think it tries to do some funky scaling-on-the-fly (e.g. windows rescale as you drag them from one monitor to another) but something about this also seems to introduce some kind of scaling that hides the checkboxes. The tests above changed both monitors to the noted resolution.

This is the first application where I literally could not see a screen element at all in 4k with Text Scaling! There are plenty of apps where icons and screen elements get pretty small and do not scale appropriately, but they are still easy to use if you have familiarity with the app already.
  • Thanks for the info!

We've been able to replicate the problem here and we're currently looking into it. I'll get back to you when I have some new information.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • We have found a bug in the code that is causing this problem. The fix needs reviewing and testing, but we hope it should be available in the next release on the frequent updates channel. I'll notify you when I get any more news concerning this bug.

Thanks
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • The fix for this problem is included in the latest release on the frequent updates channel. I hope that has solved the problem for you.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software