ANTS Performance Profiler 4 Throws Exception when run

I just installed ANTS Performance Profiler 4.0.0.861 on my Windows XP SP2 machine.

Everytime I run the program I get prompted to activate or evaluate the software. I select "Continue" (evaluate) and then I'm presented with a dialog box with a stack trace:

Server execution failed (Exception from HRESET: 0x80080005 (CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE))
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

<snip: I can't copy and paste out of the dialog and I don't feel like spending five minutes transcribing>

If I dismiss the box by clicking "OK" the application appears to begin normally (suggesting I click File > New Profiling Session),

When I click on File | New Profiling Session I get another exception:
Server execution failed (Exception from HRESEULT: 0x80080005 (CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE))
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
<snip>

I've tried:
1. Uninstalling and re-installing the application, and
2. Rebooting.

Neither helped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris.

Comments

• Hi Chris,

sorry for the problem you are having.

If you send me the log files it might provide some information to help track down the issue.

You can find them in:

C:\Documents and Settings\ <your name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 4

you can email them to me, stephen.chambers [at] red-gate.com

Regards,

Stephen
  • Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi Chris,

Sorry to see you're having problems.

I've spent some time today looking at this problem, and I've managed to apply a fix that should sort it out for you. The downside is that we're just now migrating version control systems so I won't be able to get you a patch until the new version control system is integrated with our build service. We'll also need to check the upgrade routes all work in the installer.

Things are a little chaotic at the moment because a number of key people involved in the project are taking chunks of well earned holiday, including me in a couple of weeks, however we'll try to get something sorted out for you as quickly as we can. Don't worry about your trial period expiring; we can sort that out as well.

Just in case it's helpful, as far as I can tell the issue can be caused by one of the following scenarios:

- High CPU load causing a COM+ server to take an excessively long time to start up.
    - Having a debugger attached to the COM+ server, with execution paused
    - A bug in a COM+ server that prevents it registering itself properly.
    - Incorrect registration/configuration of a COM+ server.
    - Some other reason (yeah, I know, it's lame) that isn't listed above--I'm no COM+ expert.

I'm assuming you're probably not trying to profile a COM+ server, so this'll be just something that's installed on your machine by another application, so it may not be something you're in a position to do anything about. At any rate, failures such as these are things we're going to have to deal with, although unfortunately until something like this happens you've often no idea that this kind of thing could cause a problem, given the vast number of other scenarios we have to test.

I'll let you know when the patch becomes available.

Thanks,

Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • I appreciate you looking into this for me, but it sounds like this will take a while to resolve.

Is there any way I can download a trial version of ANTS 3?
    Hi Chris,

Not any more unfortunately, although we've had a conflab and are now hoping to get a 4.1 early access build out on Monday or Tuesday next week with this fix in.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Hi Chris,

I've just posted up a build with a fix for this issue. Please refer to the early access build announcement in the main forum for download details:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewforum.php?f=86

If there's anything else please let me know.

Thanks,

Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • I installed the new version and ran into more (yet different) woe.

The app installed fine, and started up correctly. When I tried to create a new project (profiling the performance of a .NET app) I got this exception:

The registered profiler core DLL does not correspond to the version of ANTS profiler you are trying to run.
    RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Exceptions.CoreDllNotRegisteredException

<snip>

I tried uninstalling the program and re-installing it. The issue remained.

Also, I'm down to 8 days left on my 14 day evaluation and I haven't been able to run the software yet.
    Hi Chris,

OK, sorry about this, it looks like the installer didn't register the new DLL properly.

This might do the trick (I'm assuming you're running 32-bit Windows XP).

Open up a command prompt. Navigate to the ANTS Profiler installation directory, which is probably something like "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Profiler 4" using the following:

cd "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Profiler 4"

Now, execute the following command:

regsvr32 ProfilerCore.dll

That should register the correct version of the ProfilerCore DLL. You should then be able to run ANTS Profiler.

If you're running 64-bit Windows , it's slightly more involved. Open up a 64-bit command prompt, and as before change to the ANTS Profiler installation directory. You need to register both the 32- and 64-bit profiler cores, so once you're in the right directory first register the 32-bit DLL using:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe ProfilerCore.dll

Now cd into the x64 subdirectory and register the 64-bit DLL using:

regsvr32 ProfilerCore.dll

If that doesn't work then

(i) Completely uninstall ANTS Profiler 4.1 using "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel (I think it's is called "Programs and Features" on Vista).
    (ii) Re-install ANTS Profiler 4.1 using the installer you downloaded earlier for build 4.1.0.11.

If you're still not getting any joy please let me know and I'll look into it further.

Thanks,

Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • No joy. I successfully registered the DLL, but I get the same exception.
  • Hi,

We have managed to reproduce the issue you are hitting on one of our test machines. I hope to get this fixed tomorrow morning and we will push out a new EAP build as soon as this has been tested.

Sorry for the problems you have hit,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Hi Chris,

Sorry about this! What a royal pain in the backside. We should have something sorted for you today, all being well.

Thanks,

Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Hi Chris,

There's a new build now available that should work for you:

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=7695

Again, apologies for the difficulties you've had.

Thanks,

Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Good news: The software is now working.
    Bad news: I only have 6 days left to evaluate it.
  • Hi there,

Please drop me an email (james.moore <at> red-gate.com) and I will extend your trial for you,

Regards,

James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd