Two problems ... need help

randyvrandyv Posts: 166
edited August 4, 2008 8:37AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
First problem - When using SQL Backup GUI on my client PC, two servers show that an update is available. When I mouse on the upgrade icon, it indicates that the server portion needs updating. However, the update failed. Assuming the problem was that I was using the GUI on my PC and not on the server, I remote logged into both servers and ran the update locally. I did this by downloading the update program and then running it.
Now on these servers, everything is good to go. However, the GUI on my PC still insists that the servers need updating... how do I get this fixed?

Second problem - on a third server the last backups were run 6/6/2008 (just checked, my bad)... There is no end date on the jobs. (This is an older server running SQL Server 2K.) Why did the jobs just stop and how do I get them running again?
What we do in life echoes in eternity <><
Randy Volters

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

With regards to the first problem. What Version of SQL Backup is the GUI on your machine (GUI Help menu ->About SQL Backup)?

In the GUI on your machine, Right click in turn the two servers and select properties. What Version of SQL Backup is returned?

With regards to the second problem - Ensure that the Microsoft SQL Server Agent Service and the Red Gate SQL Back Agent Service are available and in a running state. If both services are in a started condition, check the SQL Backup Log Files (C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<SQL Instance Name> Have there any SQL Backup Log files created since 6/6/2008?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • GUI on PC is 5.3.0.178
    Servers 5.2.0.2825 and 5.2.0.2524

"With regards to the second problem - Ensure that the Microsoft SQL Server Agent Service and the Red Gate SQL Back Agent Service are available and in a running state. If both services are in a started condition, check the SQL Backup Log Files (C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<SQL Instance Name> Have there any SQL Backup Log files created since 6/6/2008?"

On what machine(s)? The PC or the Servers?
    Randy Volters
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

Can you please copy the SQBServerSetup.exe from the machine with the GUI installed to your two SQL Servers and run the executable. (You will find the SQBServerSetup.exe, by default, in C:\Program Files\Red gate\SQL Backup folder).

Can you please ensure that both the Microsoft SQL Server Agent Service and the Red Gate SQL Back Agent Service are available and in a running state ON EACH SQL SERVER.

If both services are in a started condition, check the SQL Backup Log Files ON EACH SQL SERVER (C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\<SQL Instance Name> ). Have there any SQL Backup Log files created since 6/6/2008?"

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie -

In preparing to take the actions you suggested, I went onto the two servers that were giving my PC GUI of SQL Backup 'fits'. But, this time, both SQL Backup GUIs on the servers showed the same update icon that was being displayed on the PC; what is strange is that they were not when I first reported this problem.

I have clicked the upgrade button on each server's GUI and the problem is resolved.

As to why it took so long for the server's GUI to show the upgrade available button ... I have no idea, but wanted to pass this on to you and close this out.

Regards

Randy Volters
    Randy Volters